Childcare Costs

morddwyd 20:46 07 Sep 2011

Bit bemused by the current news stories about the cost of childcare.

I'm a different generation, of course, and I can't get my head around working just to pay for childcare.

Any young mums and/or dads out there make it a bit clearer for me?

(This is not a sarcastic or sardonic dig at changed times, just a genuine request for help in understanding)

anskyber 18:39 08 Sep 2011

So are you granny 1 or granny 2?

morddwyd 20:26 08 Sep 2011

"many low to middle income families can't afford both,"

The couple who triggered my enquiry appeared in a news item last night.

They were both professionals, in their mid thirties so definitely were not in this class..

Childcare costs exceeded the cost of their mortgage, admittedly in London.

We are talking here about paid childcare, I don't suppose family care is (yet) unaffordable.

Obviously the forum has lost its young Mums and Dads!

morddwyd 07:27 09 Sep 2011

"If they are "professionals" could they not "plan" for having children so avoiding financial hardships?"

I don't know.

That's why I'm asking.

Any chance of anyone actually sticking to the the point of my question?

Aitchbee 15:55 09 Sep 2011

What schools are all of these foreign toddlers going to go to? I was met by a 'wave' of prams round about 3:15pm today...3 deep.has any body thought about this?

Aitchbee 16:23 09 Sep 2011

Woolwell - Thanks, I will not parade it in public anymore.

chub_tor 19:26 09 Sep 2011

All three and four year olds are entitled to 15 hours of free nursery education for 38 weeks of the year. This applies until they reach compulsory school age (the term following their fifth birthday). Free nursery education can take place in nurseries, playgroups, preschools or at their childminders.

My wife owned and ran a Nursery School and DayCare Centre for 15 years and the parents of her children fell into two basic groups. The first were career oriented where both husband and wife (or partner) worked to give themselves a higher standard of living and had the child(ren) in care for the 5 days of the working week. They took advantage of the free hours (paid for by us taxpayers) but supplemented it with the money they earned from their jobs and considered it just another expense that needed to be paid for their way of life.

The second group were those who used only the free hours to have their child in care and used it either so that they could have some leisure time, or so that they could do some paid part time work. Some mixed and matched the free hours with family care so that they could work full time.

In all those years I never came across a set of parents where the cost of childcare was evenly balanced with the wages received by going out to pay for it. We sold the Nursery School some 4 years ago now so perhaps things have changed, certainly the fees have increased considerably but then so has the minimum wage which is the amount the majority of nursery school teachers receive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G