Charge points for electric vehicles

iscanut 20:06 17 Jul 2019

It is being mooted by some government department that all new homes should have their own charging point installed when property is built. All very well but how does this work if you are in flats or apartments several floors up ?

wee eddie 20:33 17 Jul 2019

It doesn't

Menzie 21:16 17 Jul 2019

A really long extension cord? All Electric vehicles will be interesting in the UK. I can see people plugging them out for a 'laugh.'

My workplace has chargers outside, currently both are in use as the managers have electric vehicles.

Forum Editor 22:47 17 Jul 2019

Increasing numbers of charge points are being installed in public places - motorway service stations, supermarket carparks, petrol stations, train station carparks etc.

We are all going to be driving electric vehicles in the future, and it's in everyone's interests to have as many available charge points as possible.

My son has an electric car, and has had a charge point fitted on the outside wall of his garage. he has solar panels on the garage roof, and is going to be able to charge the car with the electricity they will generate.

Menzie 01:41 18 Jul 2019

I think Hydrogen vehicles are the future personally if more vehicles of that nature appear soon.

A charging network is there for electric vehicles and the range will get better as the tech matures more. However electric vehicles have an issue for winters here. In the winter it can hit -40 before windchill and at those temps batteries only hold around 60-80% of their capacity. Not what you want when you have to run the heating and sit in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quickbeam 06:50 18 Jul 2019

The requirement to heat the cabin is something that always seems to be ignored when reviewers are testing cars. The heater in an internal combustion engined car provides copious amounts of free waste heat, heating an electric car reduces the cars range exponentially.

There is still some way to go yet before we'll be adopting electric cars beyond short commuting ranges, or isolated rural locations.

oresome 08:18 18 Jul 2019

Lotus takes wraps off its new £2MILLION Evija.

click here car has charging times that are more acceptable, but I doubt there is the electrical infrastructure to cope with such large demands over short periods. Fortunately the car is priced at a point where everyone won't have one.

Current 350kW fast charger: Full charge 18 mins, 80% charge 12 minutes.

Future 800kW charger: Full charge 9 minutes

This

wee eddie 08:25 18 Jul 2019

A couple of years back, while driving my Taxi, South Ayrshire Council tried to enforce the new Regulations regarding the non-running of engines on the Rank.

SAC responded to the question of maintaining the internal temperature of the Driver's and Passengers Compartment, during the winter months, they responded that the heater should be run from the vehicle's battery. When asked how long they expected the supplied battery would last, when running the heater, they backed down.

Pine Man 08:34 18 Jul 2019

The requirement to heat the cabin is something that always seems to be ignored when reviewers are testing cars. The heater in an internal combustion engined car provides copious amounts of free waste heat, heating an electric car reduces the cars range exponentially.

I have a hybrid car and using the heater in winter reduces my range by about 5 miles. If I use the heated seats only it is only 2 miles. However over longer distances the petrol engine is used and that, of course, is then able to heat the car. A/C shortens the range by about 2 miles.

There is the benefit that while my car is being charged in the garage I can remotely turn on the heating so the car is hot when I get in without using the battery.

Cymro. 11:29 18 Jul 2019

Has anybody figured out just how much extra electricity generation we will need if and when all cars are electric? It seems nuclear is falling out of favour as has all the carbon burning methods. Just how many more wind generators solar panels and such like will we have up and running by then?

Pine Man 12:02 18 Jul 2019

Just how many more wind generators solar panels and such like will we have up and running by then?

Not enough, is the current view. (pardon the pun)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)