ccleaner update warning, now with covert extras

Belatucadrus 23:59 13 Dec 2017
Answered

Just installed the latest version of ccleaner a maintenance utility that's been popular with users here for many years. Now you may or may not be aware that Piriform the writers were purchased earlier this year by avast! the antivirus company. Which brings me to the problem, having installed the latest ccleaner I get popups telling me my security is disabled followed shortly by a note that avast! is now handling my security. This was a bit of a surprise as at no point in the download was avast! mentioned and at no time did I authorise its installation. I look on the website check the news sections and read the bit outlining the improvements to ccleaner. Nowhere is there the slightest reference to avast!

To my mind this is a sneaky underhand way of foisting your product on unsuspecting users and if this is the way they intend to operate please consider all my prior recommendations for both these programs:

FULLY AND IRREVOCABLY RESCINDED

martd7 11:09 14 Dec 2017

I downloaded it from piriform saw nothing about Avast that is strange

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 14 Dec 2017

Just downloaded the free version via the update from CCleaner itself. takes you to Piraform and onto Filehippo which now shows choice of download latest verision and download 14 day trial.

Latest version down load (5.38.6357) shown no signs of Avast in options ( normally I would just click install rather than customise)

Belatucadrus 11:39 14 Dec 2017

I just downloaded additional copies of the installer and I now have three, yesterdays from Piriform, A duplicate downloaded today and a copy from Filehippo. I've just started all three and they're all showing avast! on the opening splash screen. Maybe it only shows if you're not running a third party AV, I don't know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 14 Dec 2017

I'm running Kaspersy.

martd7 13:21 14 Dec 2017

Have you installed unchecky the program that automatically unchecks any other programs bundled with the main program?

martd7 13:23 14 Dec 2017

My AV is Panda free

Belatucadrus 13:53 14 Dec 2017

I decided to test my third party AV theory and it seems to pan out. I took a ccleaner installer which definitely shows a splash screen with avast! on it when run on a W 8.1 system with Windows Defender. Then ran it on an old W XP system with Panda Free anti virus on it. This time the splash screen was blank and no additional stuff got installed.

martd7 14:55 14 Dec 2017

Bela

I have uninstalled ccleaner and turned off my panda free AV,and reinstalled ccleaner I still see no mention or splash screen of Avast

That's on a windows 7 pc

Old Deuteronomy 15:30 14 Dec 2017

I use Kaspersky security and have just updated my Ccleaner. Oddly enough I was offered Chrome with a tiny box to uncheck.

bumpkin 15:43 14 Dec 2017

My AV is Panda free

Good, the last thing you need is a Pander.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Apple MacBook Pro 16 pouces : prix et fiche technique