Cashing a Cheque

  wmoore 10:24 18 Oct 2008

Coming from NZ you could make out a cheque for cash
and the bank would give you the money.
Can you do this in the UK.
So if my wife gave me a cheque and it said Pay cash
instead of my name could I go to the bank and get the money out.

  johndrew 11:09 18 Oct 2008

The answer is basically `Yes` to all your points.

But, the bank may well want to confirm with your wife (as the account holder) that you have been authorised to withdraw cash on a crossed cheque rather than have it put into an account with your name. As a result you may either need a letter of confirmation with the subject cheque number, amount, your full name and your wife`s signature plus your own personal identity documents (passport or similar) or for the bank to be able to `phone your wife, confirm they are speaking with the account holder and get her approval that way. The end result will also depend on the value of the cheque, the higher the value the more difficulty.

Generally, it is easier to have your own account from which you can draw cash by cheque with much less bother.

  Pine Man 11:10 18 Oct 2008

Don't see why not. That is what I used to do before cheques effectively became obsolete.

  Jak_1 12:13 18 Oct 2008

I used to do that frequently to get cash from my bank account, especially at times when there were no cash machines availlable or were out of order, you don't get cash machines at sea or in a mobile bank. All I did was to write 'cash' where you would normally write the name of the payee.

  Jak_1 12:25 18 Oct 2008

Nope, you just sign the cheque as normal. However this is for personal cheques made from the drawers personal account, the bank may require a drawers signature on the reverse of the cheque though if they are a third party recipient and some form of identification.
Pre-printed crossed cheques AC Payee Only are a safeguard against fraudulent encashment and do require the drawer to have an account it can be paid into. Writing out a cheque for cash is usually regarded by the banks as a method of an account holder drawing out cash for their personal use from their account.

  birdface 12:29 18 Oct 2008

Only if you use the same bank over here I would think.Maybe the bank may be a bit wary as to why you never used your credit card instead.Obvious if it was a large amount they may want to contact your bank first before releasing any cash.I believe you can get a bankers cheque or draft from your from your own bank that will give you instant cash here.but you may be charged extra for it from your bank.

  Legolas 13:07 18 Oct 2008

As above I would imagine it is possible but be warned they will probably want all sorts of proof of identity. Passport, household bill, birth certificate, do you take sugar in your tea, shoe size, where you holidayed last year.....OK I'm exaggerating but you get my drift.

  lofty29 16:49 18 Oct 2008

according to my duaghter who works in a bank you can only get cash now if you are the account holder or the account holder is present

  Forum Editor 17:10 18 Oct 2008

at least as far as my bank is concerned that's the position. Only the account holder can obtain cash in this way, and the account holder must be present in person - I couldn't give someone else a cheque made out to cash, because my bank wouldn't pay.

  wmoore 20:50 18 Oct 2008

Thanks lofty29

  Condom 21:28 18 Oct 2008

Out of curiosity I just looked at my cheque book and discovered that the last cheque I wrote was for my daughter's Xmas card last year. Gone are the days when a cheque book lasted barely a month or two. My wife received a cheque from the USA this year and it took nearly 5 weeks for her bank to process it so perhaps you need to look at alternative ways of bringing your money to the UK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

How Pentagram and other design agencies aim to double the number of creative female leaders

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?