Cars covered in brown marks

bumpkin 22:32 11 Jul 2016

I like my cars to be clean but find that they are constantly covered in small brown spots. I can't get them off easily even with repeated washing. Local hand car wash does a reasonable job but still some remain, they tell me it comes from trees. They come off with a fingernail easy enough but there are hundreds of them over the screen and bodywork. Recently had my conifers lopped if that is of any relevance.

Has anyone else experienced this or can offer advice on removal.

lotvic 14:55 16 Oct 2016

Pine Man, what did you use to treat the wooodworm etc? I have same brown spots on Plastic Storage boxes in garage - and now I've had a closer look there's wormy holes in some of the joists :((

Am wondering how to treat it without getting drenched in the stuff.

Govan1x 15:10 16 Oct 2016

bumpkin

Like you say probably from the trees. I have two big trees outside my house and get those spots they feel a bit gluey on top of the car but forever having to use the windscreen washers to get rid of it from there.

No trees round the back of my house and if I park the car there I have no problem. Unfortunately cant park it there very often as I have unsociable neighbours that like to park outside my house making it difficult to get in or out of the Back driveway.

The good or bad news is that the leaves are beginning to fall off the trees so it should be ok in the winter.

Pine Man 15:23 16 Oct 2016

Lotvic

It was a tin of Cuprinol Wood Worm Killer, which is very runny just like like water. I applied it to the joists with a paint brush and the nett result was joists 75%, me 25%.

In hindsight it probably would have been better sprayed but the bonus, before Bumpkin gets involved, is that my head is now guaranteed free from woodworm!

lotvic 15:44 16 Oct 2016

Pine Man, thanks, will use a paintbrush as don't fancy breathing in 'spray' even though I'll be wearing a mask anyway. I'll get a shower cap and plastic rain cape or similar as 'throwaway protective clothing', also I'll protect from rundown drips from paintbrush. My outfit will end up looking like something from outer space.

If I do it at end of the month, I'll be able to scare away the neighbourhood kids that come for their Halloween Treats...

Pine Man 16:15 16 Oct 2016

Good luck!

bumpkin 18:55 16 Oct 2016

before Bumpkin gets involved, is that my head is now guaranteed free from woodworm!

Moi? Am I the kind of person to make silly comments:-)

lotvic 00:05 17 Oct 2016

anyone would think this was bumpkin's thread from the way he keeps butting in. Oh, wait...

Forum Editor 09:06 17 Oct 2016

lotvic

"...now I've had a closer look there's wormy holes in some of the joists"

The important thing to remember about woodwork is that when you see the holes the woodworm has gone - the holes are exit holes, where the mature beetles have left. The woodworm grubs chew away at the timber unseen, and it's usually only when you see the tell-tale holes that you have any idea they have been present.

Spraying the treatment fluid is far more effective than brushing, by the way. If you wear a mask and goggles, and take care with the spray you will be fine - leave any doors or windows wide open during the treatment process.

A good way to detect whether or not the infestation is still active is to put masking tape or duct tape over the holes in April, and leave it there until September. The adult beetles emerge between may and September, so you'll see any new holes in the tape.

To prevent re-infestation, try to keep the garage as dry as possible. Woodworm like timber to have a relatively high moisture content, and a greenhouse-type heater in the garage during the autumn and winter months can be very effective at reducing humidity.

lotvic 11:29 17 Oct 2016

FE, duly noted and will act accordingly. The addition of Goggles makes spraying do-able. Have just had garage re-wired now want to treat wood and paint walls (to use up some old paint), re-organise etc.

Pine Man 11:55 17 Oct 2016

Lotvic

The FE speaks with forked tongue!!

'the holes are exit holes' he states BUT if those holes are the ones that they exited where are the holes that they entered?

Let's see him 'worm' his way out of this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)