Cars covered in brown marks

bumpkin 22:32 11 Jul 2016

I like my cars to be clean but find that they are constantly covered in small brown spots. I can't get them off easily even with repeated washing. Local hand car wash does a reasonable job but still some remain, they tell me it comes from trees. They come off with a fingernail easy enough but there are hundreds of them over the screen and bodywork. Recently had my conifers lopped if that is of any relevance.

Has anyone else experienced this or can offer advice on removal.

Teabag. 16:32 15 Oct 2016

and polish to the bit that didn't need it!

Hope you went with the grain as polishing in a circular or across the grain can raise splinters. :-0)

Pine Man 16:35 15 Oct 2016

polishing in a circular or across the grain can raise splinters.

At my age anything that can be raised is gratefully accepted;-)

bumpkin 19:19 15 Oct 2016

If a hand polish raises it so be it.....

bumpkin 19:33 15 Oct 2016

Back to being serious, I have given up with preventing the marks. I have treated the car with something that makes them easy to remove instead of them sticking like glue. Your problem sounds different but I hope your efforts solve it.

Pine Man 08:14 16 Oct 2016

I can report that, this morning, there are no brown marks on my car. Suggesting that it was woodworm/crawly things that did it - maybe!

BT 09:12 16 Oct 2016

I sometimes get brown specks on my car. I think in my case its when there are lots of Gulls around. They often leave big sploshes of Poo but I think they spit up stuff when they are flying around squabbling.

BT 09:18 16 Oct 2016

I have treated the car with something that makes them easy to remove instead of them sticking like glue

When I bought my car I had the bodywork treated with a product that helps shed off all sorts of stuff. Not sure what it was called now but it certainly works. I rarely have to clean the car and it came with an aerosol to remove Bird poo. Part of the deal was all the upholstery was Scotchguard treated as well.

oresome 10:45 16 Oct 2016

It's years since I've seen anyone polish their car and I seem to be one of the very few that wash their own car in my neighbourhood.

Years ago it used to be a Sunday morning ritual for those that didn't go to church.

As churchgoing is also on the decline, what do people do now on a Sunday morning now? Perhaps they drive to the local carwash and wait in a queue.

The last car purchase I made was transacted over the phone with my p.x. car valued unseen, brown spots or no brown spots.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 16 Oct 2016

As churchgoing is also on the decline, what do people do now on a Sunday morning now?

Shopping - the supermarket's car parks are packed out on a Sunday morning. :0)

Pine Man 11:26 16 Oct 2016

Like BT I have my cars treated with 'Life Shine' but it always makes me smile when they give you a bag of cleaning products for your car as well, which, in theory, you don't need;-)

The brown spots certainly came of very easily with a hose thanks, I believe, to Life Shine and my garage is now bug free and smelling very strange after the cocktail of creepy crawly and woodworm killer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)