car tax help

  mkennyd 11:17 04 Sep 2008

My neighbour is selling up and moving abroad, he's offered me his car, a Mercedes 300E for 500 quid for a quick sale, obviously i'm interested but am concerned how much road tax will be on such a car , it,s a 1992 model and have heard that cars are now banded in different groups according to their year of registration. Please could anyone enlighten me.

  anskyber 11:27 04 Sep 2008

For cars after March 2001 click here

  mkennyd 11:59 04 Sep 2008

Thanks anskyber,
Do you know how much annual car tax is for a 3 litre merc at under this 2001 bracket.

  cycoze 12:02 04 Sep 2008

As far as i understand it, for cars registered between 1974 and March 1, 2001, tax is calculated according to engine size:

Cars under 1549cc cost £120 per year.
Cars over 1549cc cost £185 per year.

Which is exactly what I paid this year since the budget on our two vehicles.

Newer vehicles after 2001 pay according to how much they pollute, as anskyber's link.

  mkennyd 12:09 04 Sep 2008

Thankyou to both of you for the help.

  cycoze 12:16 04 Sep 2008

I just had a look on Parker road tax calculator click here , depending on exact model then it could be as i already said £185 pa, up to £200pa, as you know the make and model, how many doors etc it might pay for you to have a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

8 digital brands that designed custom typefaces to save millions

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?