Hot Topics

Car electrics anyone?

dagbladet 09:55 10 Jul 2007

On impulse i've just bought a fag lighter 3 socket adapter at Aldi. Like all impulse buys I haven't really thought through what i'm going to do with it yet. An example might be, running the sat-nav, whilst charging my phone, whilst the little fella plays his game-boy. Now i've never really understood Amps, Ohms, Volts etc.

Do any techie types have any idea how much power these things can provide before the headlights go out or I blow all my electrics?

spuds 13:12 10 Jul 2007

I tend to get rather nervous when I see the comparison between some of the various thickness's of the lead cable on these devices.Nothing better than the smell of something overheating!.

Similar devices a £1 at Poundland. Seem to work okay on running 2 12volt x 55watt commercial standard hazard beacons with occasional 12volt 20watt goose-neck interior white lamp.

dagbladet 16:25 10 Jul 2007

"Check the handbook for your car and add up the current ratings of the three devices"

Whilst I am grateful for the informed response, I refer the honorouble responder to my original point '... i've never really understood Amps, Ohms, Volts etc....'

Am I right then in saying that current rating is measured in Amps? and the sum total of the three devices must not exceed the fuse rating or the fuse will blow?

spuds 16:55 10 Jul 2007

I believe it goes something like this: Volt divided by wattage equals amperage.

amonra 17:01 10 Jul 2007

Watts = volts X amps

laurie53 20:03 10 Jul 2007

The fuse will protect the system.

I run a satnav, laptop, coolbox, wheelchair battery charger (via an inverter) and a PDA.

The fuse has only blown once, when the wheelchair batts were quite low and the initial surge of current was too much (I have now fitted a slo blo fuse).

Stuartli 20:25 10 Jul 2007

Providing you only use the sockets to light three cigarettes at a time you should be OK...:-)

You could, in fact, have bought a quadruple sockets version:

click here

Stuartli 20:39 10 Jul 2007

To be serious I also have a cigar lighter/power point in the boot of my VW.

I use it for my "fast" battery charger to charge up/boost four rechargeable batteries for my digital camera when away or out for the day.

The battery charger is supplied with both a mains and car adapter and the charging time rate is the same in both cases.

Stuartli 20:41 10 Jul 2007

You've forgotten the three Nissan branded glass ash trays....

BT 08:19 11 Jul 2007

I have one of those in the boot of my Fiat Stilo but it only seems to be active when the ignition key is 'on', not necessarily with the engine running, so of limited use really.

On the subject of 'Accessories', my new SatNav car power supply has a very springy curly cable,and as the Cig/lighter socket is just behind the handbrake on my Stilo, it drapes across the Handbrake and gear lever. I have to get a non-curly extension cable so that I can route it more safely.

Stuartli 10:56 11 Jul 2007

You are correct about having to have the ignition on, but my batteries are being charged up whilst on the move.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Review

Affinity offers Photo, Designer & Publisher for Free for 3 Months

New iPhone SE could launch 'as early as today'

Les meilleures offres gratuites pendant la période de confinement