Can you remember when you passed your driving test

qwbos 00:50 02 Dec 2018

When I was getting online quotes for my car insurance, one insurer asked me "Licence held since" month/year. Simple answer is I don't know, and neither do the DVLA. So after a bit of to and fro, they said that someone could give me a quote by phone and they'd ask a different question. That question turned out to be "how old were you when you passed your driving test?".

Now I know I'm not as young as I used to be and maybe the cells don't communicate as rapidly as they used to, but I'm pretty sure that most people would realise that if you don't know the answer to the first question, you won't know the answer to the second. The interdependence would be the clue.

So I'm curious. How many of you can remember when you passed your driving test?

bumpkin 22:07 03 Dec 2018

Not every rule and regulation can work in all circumstances. A bit of initiative or common sense needs to be used at times, it is just a shame these qualities appear to be thin on the ground not just in motoring but life in general.

qwbos 23:59 03 Dec 2018

It is interesting what others have said about the speed limit. When I was doing my test I was told to reach and maintain the speed limit at all times possible

"possible" being the critical part of that statement, which I would interpret as being when it's safe to do so dependent on the road being travelled on and traffic conditions. For better or worse, the days of being able to travel long distances at the speed limit are probably gone due to traffic density.

I remember travelling from St Helens to Aberdeen in the early seventies. A little over 360 miles covered in 6 hours when there was very little dual carriageway north of Glasgow. Even on a weekday, traffic was far lighter than now, and I doubt if it would be possible to better that time now even with the road (slow moving car park) improvements that have taken place.

As wee eddie inferred, most of us on this forum are knocking on a bit and can remember a time when Howard and Marina could cycle down the middle of a country road without fear of being flattened by someone convinced that he can do the same on a public road with a real car as he did on his games console.

carver 20:19 15 Dec 2018

Passed my first test in 1971 at the ripe old age of 20 on second attempt after six lessons, second test was Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 10.15 AM for HGV license

bumpkin 22:22 15 Dec 2018

An HGV at 65 is an achievement, well done.

oresome 13:40 16 Dec 2018

My wife's driving instructor asked her to apply for a late cancellation driving test which she got at short notice. Unfortunately the instructor and his vehicle weren't available at the appointed time because he was contracted to do a school taxi service at the start and end of the school day. (It would have been helpful if he'd told her first)

She took the test in our Citroen 2CV which wouldn't have been a problem but the examiner was accompanied by his supervisor who was well over six foot tall and could barely squeeze in the back of the vehicle.

When it came to reversing round a corner, she couldn't see out of the back window for this guy sat in the back all hunched up and she consequently brushed the kerb.

Nevertheless she passed first time and I think the examiner made some allowance for the restricted visibility.

Neither man could fathom how they opened the door to get out of the vehicle following the test which made her chuckle afterwards.

Citroen has some unusual design features on the 2CV to put it kindly.

wee eddie 15:44 16 Dec 2018

They say that the "Deux Chevaux" was designed so that Granny could sit in the back, wearing her coiffe, and there still be room for the family pig in the boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Illustrator for iPad: Hands-on with a desktop classic in tablet form

AirPods Pro review

Qu’est-ce que l’opération Day’couvertes d’Amazon ?