Can you remember when you passed your driving test

qwbos 00:50 02 Dec 2018

When I was getting online quotes for my car insurance, one insurer asked me "Licence held since" month/year. Simple answer is I don't know, and neither do the DVLA. So after a bit of to and fro, they said that someone could give me a quote by phone and they'd ask a different question. That question turned out to be "how old were you when you passed your driving test?".

Now I know I'm not as young as I used to be and maybe the cells don't communicate as rapidly as they used to, but I'm pretty sure that most people would realise that if you don't know the answer to the first question, you won't know the answer to the second. The interdependence would be the clue.

So I'm curious. How many of you can remember when you passed your driving test?

Flat Earther 01:43 02 Dec 2018

I don't need to remember, it's clearly stated on my (paper) driving licence.

mole44 05:48 02 Dec 2018

1964 in Germany (I was in the military)

Quickbeam 06:02 02 Dec 2018

What company was this?

All my online quotes just have a drop down box with a choice between 10 or 20 years as a maximum option.

I see no reason why if one can accept that you've had a licence for 10 or more years, they all can't accept that as a standard .

Quickbeam 06:07 02 Dec 2018

In answer to the question, 1974 age 18.

It has 2026 as the expiry date which at the time seemed like three lifetimes away, but now seems frighteningly close!

Quickbeam 09:16 02 Dec 2018

5/12/73 age 17 I now see.

canarieslover 09:48 02 Dec 2018

Motorcycle 1962 aged 19 and car 1965 aged 22. Both first time passes, mind you I probably managed to do at least 3 or 4 times the mileage as a current test due to lack of traffic back then. Thee is a test centre not too far from where I live and I followed a person on test a few weeks ago. Within 1/2 mile they were into heavy traffic and moving very slowly. I turned off shortly after so I don't know how much longer their test drive went on but at 15 minutes for the first mile I should have thought that they would have been going back to the test centre soon after I left them. I can remember most of the route I took from that same test centre and in 1965 I reckon I covered at least 7 miles, probably more than an hour in modern traffic to do that distance. No wonder there is a classroom test as well.

john bunyan 10:58 02 Dec 2018

I have a letter from my London driving school confirming 1st time pass in 1957; motor bike a week later.

QuizMan 11:13 02 Dec 2018

1968, but no idea which month - and I do not need to know. However, I know exactly when it expires (at age 70). Too close for comfort.

Toneman 11:18 02 Dec 2018

Still have my first...provisional...licence, ran from 8.1.55 to 7.4.55. Shows I passed the test on 14.3.55. not so much traffic around then...

HondaMan 11:48 02 Dec 2018

January 1968! I would have thought everyone would remember that.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable