can you make will online.

bumpkin 21:30 08 Feb 2018

By that I mean can it be done by my solicitors mainly online with some postage of documents back and forth. Of course I could ask them myself but I wonder if anyone here has any comments first.

bumpkin 19:52 09 Feb 2018

If I make the solicitor also the executor they require 1% of everything apart from my house on which they want 0.5%. I don't know if this is reasonable or not . When they executed my late father in laws will it cost a lot of money but they saved me £4000 in inheritance tax so I was not too disgruntled. I think I will make an appointment to see them, expensive but you get what you pay for it seems.

Apart from the hours drive I hate going there because there is nowhere to bloody well park even with a blue badge.

wee eddie 20:32 09 Feb 2018

Why not get a Solicitor who is easier to access

john bunyan 21:05 09 Feb 2018

bumpkin

A married couple are taxed when the second one dies and the combined free amount is £650,000 and rising- look up on Saga. If your estate is less then no tax is due. I have been an executor several times and charged nothing. I would look for a trustworthy friend or relative unless your affairs are very complicated.

bumpkin 22:19 10 Feb 2018

Not sure what a executor has to do but thousands of pounds seems unrealistic.

john bunyan 09:31 11 Feb 2018

For a normal estate a sensible, trustworthy person could be an executor and charge nothing. Just need to read it up and be able to make a spreadsheet

Forum Editor 10:19 11 Feb 2018

You can appoint anyone over the age of 18 as your executor, and that person can also be a beneficiary. It's quite common for people to appoint family members or friends, and you are not limited to one executor - in fact it's a good idea to appoint two in case one dies before you do.

Unless your estate is a complex one, the job of an executor is relatively straightforward, and there is plenty of help and advice available on the internet.

The main consideration is to appoint someone you trust.

oresome 11:36 11 Feb 2018

I've never been an executor, but can imagine in some circumstances that it's an onerous and lengthy task and a solicitor can earn their keep.

For instance there may be property to sell, perhaps with a resident offspring. There may be a dependent offspring unknown to the rest of the family. There may be debt that isn't immediately apparent, IHT to pay and several years records of gifts to be accounted for etc. etc.

Anybody who volunteers to be an executor needs to understand what they are letting themselves in for.

Aitchbee 18:04 11 Feb 2018

bumpkin, I'd just like to say that your choice of subject and the helpful suggestions from the other forum members have been particularly helpful to me as I have still to go through the process of making a will. many thanks to all concerned.

bumpkin 20:45 11 Feb 2018

John,*A married couple are taxed when the second one dies and the combined free amount is £650,000 *

Is this automatic or do I have to inform the Revenue. My wife died around 2yrs back so I assumed that her share of IHT would pass to me. An expensive mistake to make if I am wrong.

bumpkin 21:36 11 Feb 2018

Aitchbee, " the helpful suggestions from the other forum members have been particularly helpful to me"

Me also, so many thanks to those members.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs