Can I borrow a shovel, please

Macscouse 11:55 28 Oct 2008

It is snowing here in Nairn, the A9 is blocked, and the A96 is treacherous. The way south is closed.
Roll on Spring!

Quickbeam 11:57 28 Oct 2008

Have you got any Kendal mint cake for emergencies...?

Macscouse 12:02 28 Oct 2008

Something better than that - A bottle of 12 year old Balvenie Malt

Bingalau 12:17 28 Oct 2008

Macscouse. You need a good bottle of Pusser's Rum, never mind that Scotch stuff. I've got a shovel in the back of my car, but I'm not venturing up there. Can I send it through the post do you think? Nah! Better not. The post van wouldn't get through either. Maybe you should have stayed down in Liverpool?

Macscouse 12:22 28 Oct 2008

Stay in Liverpool, not while my relatives live there!
My Dad was a merchant seaman for 36 years, he was rather partial to a drop of rum. He used to tell my mother that it gave him the strength to go to sleep.

Bingalau 12:28 28 Oct 2008

Macscouse. Is he still around? Maybe he goes to the Eldonian Village Hall with all the other ex-MN lads. If he is I can have a chat with him as I go there pretty regularly.

Macscouse 12:34 28 Oct 2008

Sadly, he passed away many years ago, he had a bad war, being torpedoed a couple of times. It caught up with him eventually.

Quickbeam 12:37 28 Oct 2008

And being as it's from in that area, it is also available direct from mountain steams, but not 12 years old...

Bingalau 17:56 28 Oct 2008

Macscouse. I meet an old bloke in there regularly who was torpedoed a couple of times too. What surprised me was when I introduced him to an ex-German Navy Man they hugged each other like old friends. I was suitably "Gobsmacked" as I thought they would choose to ignore each other.

Macscouse 20:07 28 Oct 2008

Old Bill,my Dad, never harboured grudges, and he rarely spoke of his experiences. It was only a few years ago that I found an article online about the torpedoing of "The Empress of Canada" off Freetown, which he survived. What he and the rest of the Mercantile Marine went through is largely forgotten.

laurie53 20:57 28 Oct 2008

I have friends in Alves who never admit to being in the frozen north.

Thanks for the ammunition!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?