Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin 19:20 07 Apr 2013

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

bumpkin 16:25 09 Apr 2013

Ex plorer, that may be the theory but I doubt very much that would happen in reality which is my point really.

bumpkin 16:43 09 Apr 2013

Spider9, "Seems you have an ability to be unable grasp the question!!" I understood the question but failed to see its relevance hence my attempt at a lighthearted answer.

"it would continue to give an unbalanced visiting schedule no matter how long the 'trial' lasted! He would continue to catch one train many more times than the other," OK so we will have a 2 day trial, day one he goes to girl one, day two he goes to girl two.

fourm member 16:46 09 Apr 2013

'which is my point really.'

What is your point really?

Ex plorer's links show that with something as limited as 52 different cards there are an unimaginable numbers of ways of ordering them. If you shuffle them, thoroughly, the order you get is completely random.

If you shuffled a pack of cards, noted the order, and then shuffled them again and got exactly the same order that would still be a random outcome.

The order after one shuffle has no influence on the order after the second shuffle.

Quickbeam 16:56 09 Apr 2013

"you could shuffle a pack of cards all your life 24 hours a day 100.000 x an hour for a million years and it would not be repeated in the same way again"

I can't believe that unless someone proves it.

bumpkin 17:06 09 Apr 2013

Thank you Quickbeam.

bumpkin 22:10 09 Apr 2013

Quickbeam, you may like to have a look at Ex plorers link today 3.48pm not the one a few minutes earlier, if you are interested. I would like to see your comments on that. IMHO it does seem a little unlikely.

carver 08:51 10 Apr 2013

If you add a constant into the equation that only gives an 18% chance of catching one train then the odds are stacked in favour of catching the other train,

That is not random, that is probability.

Only if the trains are spaced out with a 30 minute gap can random events really alter the outcome.

Random is a little bit like having a set of keys on a ring that you throw against a wall that has a nail stuck in it, only problem is the wall is 6 feet in length x 6 feet tall and the nail is invisible to you and the nail keeps moving.

Your job is to get the keys to land on the nail.

fourm member 09:09 10 Apr 2013

bumpkin

'IMHO it does seem a little unlikely.'

As the saying goes, you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

The number of possible orders for a 52 card pack is not an opinion that someone can disagree with. It is a mathematical fact.

I'm still no clearer on why you are trying to cling to your belief that there is no randomness.

bumpkin 00:10 12 Apr 2013

fourm member, I am not clinging to beliefs that there is no randomness, I was just asking others their opinions.

Going back to the card shuffling do you think that the following explanation not mine I hasten to add is correct?

"To give you an idea of how many that is, here is how long it would take to go through every possible permutation of cards. If every star in our galaxy had a trillion planets, each with a trillion people living on them, and each of these people has a trillion packs of cards and somehow they manage to make unique shuffles 1,000 times per second, and they'd been doing that since the Big Bang, they'd only just now be starting to repeat shuffles."

It may be based on mathematics but I don't believe it does anyone else?

fourm member 08:08 12 Apr 2013

'It may be based on mathematics but I don't believe it does anyone else?'

I most strongly urge you not to step out of your front door today. It is mathematics that keeps the paving stones in place and if you don't believe in maths you may fall through into the centre of the earth.

I'd suggest you go to bed and pull the covers over your head except it is maths that keeps your bed together so if you reject maths whose knows what might happen?

I have to ask how you manage to post here if you reject maths.

I'll answer your question just for myself because I'm always complaining about people who think they speak for the world. Yes, I believe it because it is maths and, therefore, logical.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?