Can anyone inform me why this is remotely funny

hssutton 13:11 22 Aug 2017

I'm referring to what as been described as the best Joke at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 'I'm not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change'

oresome 13:15 22 Aug 2017

That's inflation for you. The pound coin is now regarded as loose change.

wee eddie 13:19 22 Aug 2017

It's a play on the word "change"

Forum Editor 13:33 22 Aug 2017

it's slightly funny, but if a joke like that wins best joke of the Edinburgh Festival I fear for the future of British comedy.

Aitchbee 13:48 22 Aug 2017

Tommy Cooper used jokes like the above in his magic act ... had people in stitches.

qwbos 13:59 22 Aug 2017

FE

Never mind the future, look at the past. When did you last laugh out loud at a comedian? Looking at the current output on TV, short of going to Drama channel and watching Last of the Summer Wine, Porridge, Open All Hours, Waiting For God etc, you're going to struggle to find anything remotely humorous.

Aitchbee

Tommy Cooper, like many of his time, threw these sort of lines in all over his act. Funny line yse. Award winning - no.

What's particularly bad about the pound coin effort is it's not even original.

oresome 14:11 22 Aug 2017

Perhaps I can make another play on words?

Remotely, sitting in your living room or reading about on-line or in the paper, gags or sketches are seldom as funny as actually being at the live event and being carried along by the atmosphere and laughter of others.

I expect a little alcohol also helps and the intention of enjoying the evening.

Forum Editor 15:22 22 Aug 2017

qwbos

"...you're going to struggle to find anything remotely humorous."

I couldn't agree more.

hssutton 15:24 22 Aug 2017

qwbos

I'm also in full agreement

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 22 Aug 2017

Found myself a little deflated after that joke, much like the joke Brexit has done to the economy.

john bunyan 16:04 22 Aug 2017

qwbos

I agree also. My favourite comedian , or comedienne , was Victoria Wood who wrote, acted and was brilliant all round . Her song : "Let's do it " is funny whenever I hear it and her asking Paul Daniel's wife : "Tell me, Debbie, what first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels"? Was a classic. Sadly missed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Enter graphic design heaven with these vintage Japanese posters

What is Apple Card and Daily Cash?

Les meilleures applications pour Android (2019)