Hot Topics

Buying an Electronic Weather Forecasting Device

morddwyd 08:33 26 Oct 2015

I'm looking to replace my weather "forecaster" , but don't seem to be able to find any.

Plenty avaialable on-line, of course, but what sort of shop sells them these days, so that I can do some "hands on" ?

Used to able to find them in opticians, but those days are long gone

Quickbeam 09:18 26 Oct 2015

They've probably been rendered obsolete by the many free weather apps. Over the last few years I've found the BBC app to be almost 100% accurate.

Brumas 09:20 26 Oct 2015

* morddwyd, I did buy a reasonably priced one from Lidl a couple of years ago but I believe your best bet is *Maplin, that is if there is a store up there in the Kingdom of Fife ;o}

spuds 09:28 26 Oct 2015

Is this any help? click here

spuds 09:33 26 Oct 2015

Whhoops, I seemed to have missed "Plenty avaialable on-line, of course,", but going the touch and feel route might now be impossible, unless you have an 'educational' outlet in your location. In my location, most of those places have closed, and its left to the likes of Maplins or a local toy shop, who is trying to arise interest.

Forum Editor 09:42 26 Oct 2015

I have an old barometer next to the back-door. It has been there for years, and my routine is to tap it first thing in the morning. It is accurate, and the reading together with a look at the sky is usually enough to provide me with a pretty accurate forecast of what the weather is going to do over the next 12 hours or so.

If I want to look further ahead, I take a look at the Met office forecast - they have better equipment than you could ever buy from a retailer.

If you want a decent bit of kit for your own enjoyment you could do a lot worse than this little beauty.

muddypaws 09:56 26 Oct 2015

I have had one of these for some years Weathereye

Not the all bells and whistles sort that you may be after, but with outdoor sensor. Bought mine in a largish garden centre.

morddwyd 10:01 26 Oct 2015

Thanks all. Maplins and garden centres both excellent suggestions, which I had not considered.

Watch this space!

spuds 10:04 26 Oct 2015

muddypaws

Looking at the website, I notice one particular device, that was in abundance recently at either the local PoundWorld or Poundland store sclick here

hssutton 10:35 26 Oct 2015

I'm with the FE on this one, An old barometer in the hallway. lovely to look at and combined with the weather app on the phone tells me all I need to know.

Quickbeam 10:47 26 Oct 2015

I have a barometer too, they're accurate for your present location, but if you're going out for the day you want to know what the weather is likely to be 20 to 100 miles away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans