Bus drivers Olympic period strike

Strawballs 16:12 22 Jun 2012
Answered

I bet they won't be the only ones profiteering during the Olympics. I can imagine the prices of all sorts of things will rocket during this time but won't get all the headlines from the papers etc. I don't agree with what the drivers are doing I think it is wrong but they should not be the only ones getting criticized.

Drivers strike

morddwyd 21:55 23 Jun 2012

"The whole reason behind this strike is greed, pure and simple"

No it's not, it's market forces, pure and simple.

Supply and demand. Like the well owner in the desert, they have a product to sell, and at times of high demand prices go up, like energy, fresh fruit in the winter and any number of other commodities.

Aitchbee 09:38 24 Jun 2012

"rack and ruin"?

fm - does your use of the word 'rack' in your last post have the meaning implied in the saying above?

Aitchbee 09:55 24 Jun 2012

fourm member, you must have been joking when you said:-

If customers find an alternative they no longer care about the dispute.

Are you implying that people should walk 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home?

Quickbeam 10:07 24 Jun 2012

'...It is beginning to look as though a great many people want the Olympics and want it to go well.'

I wonder if WTM will be moved by the surge in support and be out on the street cheering on the torch relay enthusiastic as it passes Acacia Crescent...?

Aitchbee 11:04 24 Jun 2012

fourm member, said:-

Strikes are about individuals giving up money in the hope that they will get more as a result.

Strikes are about a workforce fighting for their rights...individualism is not an issue.

Aitchbee 11:56 24 Jun 2012

fourm member - strikes are about a group of people (ie more than one, the mathematical symbols > 1 ) withdrawing their labour for a grievance against their employer.

One person (an individual) cannot be on strike alone.

Do not mislead people otherwise.

Your fantasy world is more fantastic than mine (Take that as a compliment)

Aitchbee 15:22 24 Jun 2012

Strawballs - just a little bit off thread (by 500 miles)... http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/News/hampdenparkandride.htm

The USA v France Women's Olympic Footie Match kicks off in a month's time!

They are still building the massive bus terminal...it's big!

SparkyJack 16:32 24 Jun 2012

It seems to me rhar the folk who are winging over pension prospects are over looking the fact that this money when they get it will be in additipn to the srate pension which the rest of us haveto get by on

Nothing is static in world it is up to the individuals to decide--live now or live later longer with less-- their choice do not expect other-through their taxes to keep them in clover

Aitchbee 17:09 18 Jul 2012

Here's an update:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18886736

...they have raised the bar!

Aitchbee 17:14 18 Jul 2012

a...new...olympic ...record...and higher fares!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)