Budget day today

Terry Brown 09:36 29 Nov 2011

I believe today is the day we have all been waiting for, when 'SANTA' shows us his bag of goodies.

Sorry- I was dreaming, it is the day when we show him all our goodies and then he decides how much he wants this time.

I've heard about getting blood from a stone, but how much more can he take?. I know it is bad because I work in a multinational group and some of the immigrants who come in about 5 years ago are complaining about the 'NEW' immigrants are getting everything and they are losing out.

Terry

anskyber 14:29 29 Nov 2011

Well it might as well have been a budget because it contained budget type announcements.

Like it or not a statement predicated on there being no recession in Europe is brave or foolhardy. A 0.7% growth in the economy next year is perilously close to a double dip recession and I suggest it is more than likely as the truth about recession in Europe becomes clear.

This statement looks very like a backtrack from the debt reduction promises made only in the last budget this year. The chancellor has only offered mild anaesthesia to deep and painful surgery.

Flak999 15:08 29 Nov 2011

At least pension benefits are being uprated in line with CPI! Nice 5.2% rise for poor pensioners in April. :-)

spuds 19:50 29 Nov 2011

Flak999

At least it appears to be a better gesture than Gordon Brown's 75p per week increase for pensioners a few years back?.

Flak999 22:09 29 Nov 2011

spuds

At least it appears to be a better gesture than Gordon Brown's 75p per week increase for pensioners a few years back?.

Indeed it does! I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies?

Quickbeam 07:21 30 Nov 2011

We're screwed, we've been screwed for a few years now and look like being screwed for a few more yet. When the countries best(?) financial people can't see an end to the depression, then we're Royally screwed.

Well that's my lay view on it, I don't see that it's necessary to dress it up any fancier than that. I've still got some reserve notches on my belt... I will survive.

anskyber 08:33 30 Nov 2011

*He simply can't come out and say he thinks the Eurozone will fall apart. Saying it would go a long way to making it happen. *

Indeed but rather like the Bank of England it should be possible to work within ranges and speak accordingly otherwise there will be yet more egg on face (if that is possible) when in March the Budget has to get real.

From the trumpeting of turning things around by the next election to predicting what should happen in the first two years of a new government is quite a climb down and it all cannot be blamed on Europe.

Quickbeam 09:45 30 Nov 2011

Well, that's put in our place!

Quickbeam 10:01 30 Nov 2011

us

Terry Brown 14:50 30 Nov 2011

talking of falling apart, do you remember the story of Gerald Ratner (Jeweller),who was doing very well until he said that a lot of his stock was crap. A very sharp fall followed, and the company disappeared.

They dare not make the same mistake!

Terry

spuds 15:59 30 Nov 2011

Terry Brown, the last I heard about Gerald Ratner, he was still doing very well for himself!.

Bingalau, a Mars bar into eight slices, you must have been poor. I recall my trip once a week to the corner shop with the ration book, asking for "My Favourite", then having it all to myself for the next week. Then there was the "penuff of scraps", which usually consisted of a couple of bruised in season fruits, or the bag of batter scratching from the local chippy,then the possibility of the slice of bread and jam from a neighbour, with your mother returning the favour the next day or so. The kid's of today haven't lived?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Gamescom 2018: Announcements, livestreams and exhibitors

Nvidia's GeForce RTX graphics cards are loaded with boundary-pushing tech

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

Apple : Back to School 2018