BT's new 2mb trial

CurlyWhirly 20:29 24 Nov 2004

I have just been to click here and the BT website says that it is trialing out a 2mb broadband service on Monday 29th November 2004.

Why are BT doing this?
Is it a similar trial like what happened a few months ago when they set up the Milton Keynes trial to see how far they could 'push' the ADSL technology?

This trial turned out to be successful and led BT to scrap ALL 512kb distance limits and enabled me to upgrade to 1mb from 512kb even though before 6th September I was excluded from the upgrade!
I wonder whether I will be able to get the 2mb service?
I doubt it very much!

VoG II 20:55 24 Nov 2004

They are all at it click here

I think it is called "competition" :o)

CurlyWhirly 21:00 24 Nov 2004

Gosh. If I am right I think that you are with BlueYonder?
How come Cable companies can offer broadband so cheaply like for example a 4mb service (after upgrade) for only £50?
I wish there was Cable in my area!

Mr Mistoffelees 21:25 24 Nov 2004

I'll wait and see what they are going to charge when the service is rolled out properly, doubling my speed would be nice.

CurlyWhirly 21:28 24 Nov 2004

Assuming I can get it (which I doubt very much) I too will wait to see what the price will be.
The only reason why I upgraded to 1mb from 512kb was that the faster service was ONLY £5 a month more!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:10 25 Nov 2004

I happen to be lucky enough to live less than 1KM from the exchange so should not have a problem, if the price is right.

leo49 18:25 25 Nov 2004

No need to wait to find out - most reputable ISPs are offering it at around £39.99.I ordered with Pipex when they offered it me at the beginning of November.

CurlyWhirly 19:04 25 Nov 2004

I happen to be lucky enough to live less than 1KM from the exchange so should not have a problem, if the price is right.

Good news for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?