Broken thread [suspected] on plastic fitting[s] underneath wash-hand sink. Advice needed.

  Aitchbee 21:57 17 Jun 2014

I have whittled down the small water leak to possibly a worn-out thread or perhaps a cracked plastic fitting.[23 years old - from new, when originally installed]

Is there a relatively simple fix?

... all suggestions welcome.

  Forum Editor 22:11 17 Jun 2014

If it's the thread, go to your local plumbers merchant and buy a reel of PTFE tape. Wind the tape around the thread a few times - in a clockwise direction, and reassemble. If it still leaks add more tape.

Don't overdo the tape - too much will cause the fitting to split as you tighten the thread.

  Aitchbee 22:43 17 Jun 2014

Thanks all. I'll give that PTFE tape 'a go' to try 'n' stop leak.

  bumpkin 23:00 17 Jun 2014

Do you mean that the leak is on the trap, if so try the tape first or get an adjustable replacement so it is easy to fit.

  Aitchbee 23:08 17 Jun 2014

bumpkin, I will keep your advice in mind.

but, a-roll-of-tape repair [wishful thinkin'] is right up my street... if at all possible, hee hee.

  bumpkin 23:30 17 Jun 2014

Hope it works, it should do.

  Aitchbee 23:35 17 Jun 2014

bumpkin, if it does work , I might tackle my long standing washing-machine leak with more confidence, armed with that magic tape ...

  SparkyJack 08:06 18 Jun 2014

PTFE tape is good stuff to have around.

What was not made clear I think is it is applied to the thread of the male componenent.

This means unscrewing a 23 year old item, which it may not like

So best advice in my view. If in unscrew mode, replace the whole set up,then will be good for the next 20 plus years

  SparkyJack 13:06 18 Jun 2014

Still waiting n doubt about dismantling?

Then try this two suggestions

A. Wrap the leak in PTFE then over wrap with duct tape.

B weather proofing tape --Wickes do their own

This is a linseed putty impregnated fabric--intended for guttering and the like.

Effective but very messy.

Both should be considered temporary,and when the time comes to replace,it will be an added removal task.

You could ofcoursebite bullet and find a plumber :_(

  bumpkin 16:03 18 Jun 2014

If it is 23yrs old then I would be tempted to replace it anyway. If you buy a McAlpine adjustable trap it should be easy.

  Aitchbee 16:33 18 Jun 2014

Success! I carefully unscrewed and slid back the plastic collar with both hands to reveal the thread and also a black rubber washer which I did not have to disturb. I then wound about 30 cm of the PTFE tape around the threaded pipe in the correct direction and finally tightened up the plastic collar. The plastic 'gunge' trap would not easily budge so I left it well alone as the water is draining away quite freely.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Wacom Cintiq 22: a bigger budget pen display arrives from Wacom

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?