Broadband

james55 23:05 06 Jul 2004

Well I have gone and done it (I think), I have taken that one small step and joined the broadband revolution (Freeserve oops sorry Wanadoo). Only thing is instead of relaxing and enjoying the experience, my right eye is looking at a wee flashing green light hoping it will stop and I will be connected. It seems it can take up to ten days, oh impatient me.

Jim.

james55 19:05 07 Jul 2004

norman47 thanks for the sympathy, day 3 and I have been connected yahoo!!

Jim.

Forum Editor 20:13 07 Jul 2004

of high-speed surfing.

james55 22:54 07 Jul 2004

Thanks FE

Things are now going so fast I am getting dizzy.

Jim.

CurlyWhirly 00:21 10 Jul 2004

I have had broadband for over a year now and there is no way I would go back to dial-up!
I have to admit one thing though that is when I was on dial-up I was lucky to be online for an hour a day but now I am regularly online for 2-4 hours a day and I find that I am watching the tv less to make more time for my high speed surfing!
CW

james55 23:45 11 Jul 2004

carolineann

I know I closed this thread as resolved, believe me it does make a big difference. The speed is unbelievable, there is no way I will go back to the old 56k, it would be like going back to windows 3.1.

Jim.

CurlyWhirly 07:34 13 Jul 2004

james55
Thanks , nearly convinced. Have checked with B.T. and this is the reply I got. Means nothing to me. Can anybody explain please.Good news - Your exchange has ADSL broadband.
Our initial test on your line suggests that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides up to 512Kbps download speed, but the upstream bandwidth will vary according to the length of your telephone line. It will not be possible to provide the 1Mbps or 2Mbps ADSL broadband services.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service.

This is EXACTLY the same message that I had and all it means is that you are in the same situation as me and you will only be able to receive the 512kbps service and not the faster 1 mbps and 2 mbps services as you live too far away from your local exchange.
Though even the 512 kbps speed will maka a BIG difference compared to dial-up!
CW

james55 20:30 14 Jul 2004

CurlyWhirly
I am still happy with 512kbps, the speed of Microsoft & Norton updates in it's own is worth it. I use Terrapin to upload my site and when doing so a terrapin slowly crosses the screen, now it is so fast I think it should be a greyhound.

Jim

CurlyWhirly 11:22 15 Jul 2004

JAMES55

I am glad you enjoy your broadband speed - die dial-up die!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)