Bring Back The Stamp.... "MADE IN BRITAIN"

KEITH 1955 12:21 02 Feb 2019

I work for a vending machine company and it is my job to set up and test the machines before they go out to customers. When the recession hit us 10 years ago we had over 120 machines in stock , we NEVER carried stock at that time so the decision was made to half the workforce. For the last 10 years our hours have also been cut to 4 days and 3 days a week repeating. Our workforce now only totals 25 and we cant function with any less staff. We now have a stock of 120 machines again BUT they are only 75% complete because until they are earmarked for a customer we don't know what the final build spec will be.

This week the decision was taken to reduce our hours again to 3 days a week and 2 days a week repeating. My personal circumstances are , no mortgage and I am winding down anyway as I am 64 this year but that is cold comfort to the rest of my workmate , they want to stick by the company but cant afford to.

The director who runs the company ( the owner rarely talks to us ) says there are 2 things killing us cheap Italian imports and yes you've guessed it BREXIT.

The vending industry country wide is being strangled by some Italian machines that are 90% plastic and dirt cheap , you can even get free machines if you sign a contract to use their product. You will have made good profit from these machines but after 2 years you will be throwing them away. By the way , a lot of them can only make 1 type of drink.

The director also said that customers are not spending money with us or other people in the vending industry due to the uncertainty of BREXIT. He said he has asked WHAT uncertainty and none of them gave him a direct answer.

If and when we leave Europe this is what I would like to see , I want lots of countries to refuse to sell us goods or bang up the prices so we say up yours. The next step would be TO MAKE THE DAMN THINGS OURSELVES.

It would not happen overnight for things to be made stamped MADE IN ENGALND but , we dug deep during and after world war 2 so why not now.

Quickbeam 16:32 02 Feb 2019

LA, LA, LA... Wether you like it or not, we live in a globalist world. We need to trade across borders and including the EU. Look at how insular the USA is becoming right now, do we really want that.

Global trade is not new, Marco Polo was doing it centuries ago on the Silk Road. Global trading is here to stay.

Forum Editor 16:50 02 Feb 2019

"I want lots of countries to refuse to sell us goods or bang up the prices so we say up yours. The next step would be TO MAKE THE DAMN THINGS OURSELVES."

I'm afraid you seem to be entirely missing the point, which is that we trade in a global economy. Individual consumers and businesses buy the products and services that in their judgement represent value for money, regardless of where they are made. Manufacturers and service providers sell their products and services in competition with businesses in many other countries.

By and large it's a good system, but it does mean that situations like the one you describe (the Italian vending machines) are bound to arise. The global economy enables manufacturers in locations with lower wage levels to make goods that out-compete our own businesses on price, and increasingly they do so without any loss of quality.

Look at the consumer electronics industry and you have a classic example of the global economy at work. iPhones may be designed in America, but they are made in Asia.

The world's biggest laptop factory is owned by a Japanese company (Toshiba) but located in China.

If we want to sell British products at home or abroad they must either be competitively priced, or have a market advantage like a Brand image (Aston Martin) or a reputation for technical excellence (BAE aerospace).

The words 'Made in Britain' do not guarantee sales.

KEITH 1955 17:00 02 Feb 2019

the company I work for buys circuit boards from china they don't seem to do quality control because as well as the boards they send a bag full of spare componants , we then use a 100% perfect board to look at and compare it with the boards they send , then we solder on the missing parts.

Quickbeam 17:09 02 Feb 2019

You need a new supplier!

qwbos 18:24 02 Feb 2019

You need a new supplier!

I'd go further. You need a new job. Looks like there may be other reasons the company you work for isn't shifting stock.

morddwyd 19:09 02 Feb 2019

At least it would give us a chance to avoid the poor quality which has become the norm on UK industry.

I was in procurement for a while and because it was public money we had to keep buying from companies who we knew were ripping us off.

alanrwood 19:32 02 Feb 2019

because as well as the boards they send a bag full of spare componants

This is quite normal. When an order is placed on a manufacturer they need to procure the individual parts in order to build the item. They in fact normally order 103-105% of the order quantity so that if any parts are damaged in assembly or found to be faulty they can still manufacture the order quantity without any delay. As these parts have been procured and included in the calculations of the selling price then the parts left over are normally shipped with the product for the use of the purchaser if required.

With regard to quality control, the purchase contract will usually specify a quality level according to US Military Standard 105 which details sampling quantities and allowed defects against that level. Internal quality control checks conducted by a manufacturer are inherently unreliable for obvious reasons so I always employed an independent quality control checking company to examine the goods to the same standard and required as part of the purchase contract that in order to claim payment under the Letter of Credit a certificate of compliance was a requirement.

If you are having to rework items already shipped then the responsibility is down to your company as the purchaser to ensure the quality before the items are shipped. It is too latye when they arrive.

roger.roger 22:15 02 Feb 2019

MADE IN ENGALND

Oh good, can we start rebuilding the Austin Allegro?

You did mention 3 day week and also I believe it's called

MADE ENGLAND.

LastChip 22:45 02 Feb 2019

By all means use "Made in England" and be proud of it. But as others have said, it won't help in a competitive industry.

You need a USP (unique selling point) to justify the additional cost. Perhaps your company's sales team is not getting your quality across as well as it could be.

Menzie 01:20 03 Feb 2019

I left the Caribbean in the late 80s to migrate to Britain. Back then all the vehicles were British.

My Dad had a Sunbeam Hunter; when I visited again in a fairly short while most of the vehicles were now Japanese.

I noticed the same thing when I was in the UK. When I moved there Ford, Bedford and Vauxhall vehicles were everywhere. Over time this seemed to be replaced with mainly German vehicles.

Countries like Britain, Canada and the US have brilliant engineers and designers. However those countries are often just not competitive when it comes to the actual building of products due to the increased production costs.

Britain does a lot of design, the work from British companies can be found in many designs. For instance the Arm CPU. This was started by Archimedes in the 90s. They've quietly adapted it over time while the world paid attention to Intel, AMD, Motorola and Cyrix. Arm chips and their variants now runs pretty much every mobile device out there.

Britain still does quite a bit, just in a different way now.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)