brexit brexit brexit what does it all mean

KEITH 1955 16:05 13 Jan 2019

ok so if we had a country wide vote to bring back hanging or something simple like raising the voting age then its obvious what the end result will be , either you cast enough votes to bring them back or not.

With regards to Brexit if we stayed in Europe obviously nothing will change.

Does anyone actually know what will happen to our daily lives AFTER we leave Europe. My own personal views are that I think European countries who we currently trade with will either refuse to deal with us or cranks up the prices of the goods we want. In the long term holding us to ransom might be a good thing because it might encourage new or existing businesses to make and sell things with made in Britain stamped on them.

I recently lost 2 weeks pay because some electric motors my company wanted were in lockdown at Liverpool docks and we use them in everything we make. Even if we were prepared to pay top price for them , nobody in this country makes or sells them.

john bunyan 19:28 08 Feb 2019

My friends and family are mostly Remainers , for too many reasons to start a debate again. The “People have spoken “ - so be it. What amazes me is that of about 6-8 friends who have worked in a major multinational at a senior level, about 3 are keen Brexiteers - 2 of whom are PhD economists! The rest of us struggle with the result. Friends, families, Parties throughout the realm are split. In the long term maybe England and Wales will “stand alone” if NI joins Eire - a slow but steady possibility if you look at the demographic issues and the fact they seem unable to form a workable Stormont Government. And , who knows, Scotland may drift away following Indy 2 or 3. There would be a huge Barnett saving, of course- day over £15 billion a year, but our Defence issues would be huge

Maybe the EU will not last too long in it’s current form- France and Italy are far from friendly at the moment, and S Europe is in an economic mess.

john bunyan 20:27 08 Feb 2019

PS I wonder if FE wrote this article in the Washington Post?

Washington

LastChip 21:27 08 Feb 2019

For me, The Washington Post article is difficult to argue against. It astonishes me, why our own politicians can't see what's staring them in the face. Release from a failed experiment with the prospect of a glowing future.

They need to find some backbone and say no to the EU.

As an aside, if you read the book Darkest Hour (on which the film was based) the parallels in parliament between now and 1940 are amazing. Most politicians were willing to give up, but thank goodness Churchill came along and with some stirring rhetoric, galvanised a response. Yes, it took time and so will BREXIT, but that doesn't mean we just roll over and die.

Forum Editor 00:12 09 Feb 2019

john bunyan

"PS I wonder if FE wrote this article in the Washington Post?"

I didn't write it, but I wish I had.

Quickbeam 06:01 09 Feb 2019

LastChip

And I could post links to opposite US views, but again they are still only the views of outside spectators that either agree or disagree with one persons view.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a whimsical piece I read recently on how we do love to hark back to the war to backup one view or another over Brexit. Both sides have been guilty of mentioning the war to further there argument, but not really found it to be too credible...

Quickbeam 06:02 09 Feb 2019

...their.

Quickbeam 06:09 09 Feb 2019

On the quoted 50.4% majority that Macron won by, which the writer suggests is odd, most of our majority governments are won on only 40% or less of the popular vote, a reason for which I've been a lifelong supporter of electoral reform in the UK.

Quickbeam 06:54 09 Feb 2019

I think that piece that I mentioned above is locked behind a paywall now.

But this one, also using The darkest Hour as a base, well illustrates our ongoing Island mentality towards mainland Europe.

This one is pretty neutral and can be interpreted either way, depending on your Brexit position.

1]: [click here

LastChip 10:24 09 Feb 2019

Quickbeam, in my post I wasn't trying to reinforce a view, simply stating how the government of then and now are so similar. A bunch of people that can only see defeat and disaster as an outcome rather than the possible opposite outcome.

It's about time we saw some positivity from our leaders, not all doom and gloom. Walking around with long faces and constantly predicting disaster (which non of them can possibly know), is no way to get a good deal.

Aitchbee 11:32 09 Feb 2019

A bit of fun on youtube.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

The true inspiration behind Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu - and why it's so hard to keep Pokémon…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)