Brain training

Pineman100 12:33 21 Apr 2010

There's apparently a programme tonight on BBC1 that refutes the idea that some computer-based mental exercises can keep your brain alert and healthy.

How do I know this? Because it's been telegraphed in all of the news media, far and wide - presumably as a result of advance publicity from the BBC.

So, now we know the outcome of the tests used to ascertain this fact - what's the point of the programme?

jack 08:57 22 Apr 2010

Something of greater interest to me on another channel and I was already recording NCSI - that 'Comedy with blood' to which I seem to have become addicted to of late.
But 'Brain training' is one thing and increasing intelligence is something else.
Striving to do a task - say The Times crossword -and becoming more proficient at it at you progress and 'getting under the skin' of the compiler[s] is brain training.
Being able to comprehend a crossword at all is intelligence[or lack of as in my case]

galecary 09:35 22 Apr 2010

I agree with Jack.

Pineman100 10:19 22 Apr 2010

"not everyone would have seen the articles"

Of course that's true. But a substantial part of the potential audience *will* have seen them. So they'll be watching an investigation whose outcome they already know.

"Come and enjoy Bert Bloggs' latest mystery thriller. The butler did it."

I see this as part of a wider pattern of "pre-releasing" information, nowadays. If a politician is going to make an important speech, it seems that the entire text of that speech will be released to the Press before a word of it has been uttered.

"Gordon Brown will tonight tell the Institute of Snib Valve Assessors that.....".

I just don't see the point.

jack 11:05 22 Apr 2010

Preacher in the Amarican 'bible beelt' who when asked how he got is message across said
1, I tell them what I am going to Tell them'
2, I tell them
3, I tell them what I told them

Then they know!

Pineman100 11:18 22 Apr 2010

Yes, Jack, that's one of the basic tenets of training. And when it's all part of the same speech/presentation, it works well.

But it's not quite the same as releasing the text of a political speech, or the results of a TV investigation, days before the event.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?