Bottom rust on bathroom radiator - solution?

Brumas 20:18 28 May 2018
Answered

My bathroom radiator is rusting along its bottom edge, can anyone recommend a anti rust product which will stick to the bottom edge to enable it to do its work and, more importantly stop it rusting further?

I presume I will have to wire brush the existing rust beforehand, any tips welcomed.

Brumas 20:20 28 May 2018

should read - an anti-rust.

Belatucadrus 20:40 28 May 2018

I find Loctite 7503 rust remedy does the job.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 28 May 2018

surely its rusting from the inside? maybe a new rad required.

if from the outside the hammerite worked for me on the fridges that were kept in the garage

bumpkin 21:05 28 May 2018

Clean off the rust and see if it leaks even the tiniest amount. If not then repaint it. If the rust originates from the outside then an easy fix, If it has come through from inside a different matter entirely.

Brumas 21:20 28 May 2018

Belatucadrus, this seems to be what I am looking for, is it thick? I did try something in the past for another job but found it too thin and it dripped and dropped everwhere.

Brumas 21:23 28 May 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\, hope it is external, can't afford a new radiator at the mo'. I shall use Hammerite for the top coat.

Brumas 21:23 28 May 2018

bumpkin, shall do and hope it is not terminal!

bumpkin 21:31 28 May 2018

I would have suggested Hammerite but almost any paint would do once you have cleaned off the rust.

Brumas 22:02 28 May 2018

The main problem, as I see it, is that the radiator being a couple of inches from the floor and as much from the wall doesn't leave much working room. I think I will be able to get a wire brush in and perhaps behind the rad but I can't see how I will be able to get the wire brush behind and also apply the rust inhibitor. Moving the rad is a no no at the mo!

Forum Editor 22:30 28 May 2018

Rust along the bottom of a radiator is very often an indication that corrosion is taking place inside the radiator.

If you brush off the visible rust and your finger is wet when you run it along the area, it's time to replace the radiator.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs