Border search By irish Republic if no deal brexit

Govan1x 00:16 22 Jul 2019

The UK has made it clear that a no deal Brexit that they would have no borders in Northern Ireland.

But Irish Brexit negotiator was quizzed on TV today and admitted that they would have to have a stop and search border In the south if it was a no deal Brexit.

Just thought it was a bit hypocritical of them to demand that the UK should not have a border but they can.

Quickbeam 06:34 22 Jul 2019

They would have to abide by EU rules to prevent backdoor EU imports, we wouldn't.

Quickbeam 06:39 22 Jul 2019

In practice, despite leaving to apparently not be bound by EU rules, we will be because it'll be much simpler to just adopt all future food and consumer product regulations than have UK and EU product specs.

Which of course makes a mockery of the taking back control thing...

wee eddie 09:28 22 Jul 2019

If the EU wants a Border. Let it set it up and Police it

Quickbeam 09:47 22 Jul 2019

Ireland is concerned that it would become the Irish sea border that NI rejected, but the whole of Ireland could be bound by.

But I expect far better than "If the EU wants a Border. Let it set it up and Police it" from you wee eddie!

Quickbeam 09:48 22 Jul 2019

Whole of the 'island' of Ireland...

wee eddie 10:30 22 Jul 2019

As Henry II said, "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest"

So may a UK Prime Minister say of Northern Ireland, and they can then join Eire in the EU, with no border. Except across the North Sea

Quickbeam 10:34 22 Jul 2019

The result of that comment didn't exactly go down well!

Cymro. 11:25 22 Jul 2019

Govnix hypocritical of them to demand that the UK should not have a border but they can. There country so they can do what they like Ireland is no longer an English (OK then British)colony

Pablo de Catio 11:58 22 Jul 2019

Best thing to do if liz croaks soon is give it all back to the Irish and the same with the Scott's. If Wales wants to be independent they could join them as well.

England don't need vast amounts of oil anymore.

john bunyan 12:23 22 Jul 2019

Any notion of forcing NI to join Eire is ludicrous- a Civil War there would ensue. Clearly it would be a good thing for rUK if they VOTED for it . I suspect that in truth Eire doesn’t want it ( too costly, too troublesome).

In view, particularly of Defence issues the same does not apply to Scotland, in my view.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G