Blue Badge sheme application fiasco

hssutton 10:47 20 Aug 2017

My daughter was born with cerebral palsy and has had a blue blue badge (previously orange) since 1975. I have recently received an email from the local council advising that it will shortly require renewing. Filled in the forms and attached the required photo and documents. Have just received a letter saying they cannot proceed with application as the passport has expired by a few months. They have also sent a different application form to fill in and require a copy of her birth certificate to replace the passport. The new forms have over 40 questions to be filled in. The seventh being 'I am unable to walk' selected this, but there are then approx 30 more question about how walking affects you. I'm also very puzzled as to why a birth certificate is more important than the expired passport. Bureaucracy gone mad?

john bunyan 12:53 21 Aug 2017

hssutton

The case of your daughter, both on the blue badge and the other issues seems quite appalling. The Lincolnshire authorities involved should be ashamed. If I were you I would continue to ask your MP for help- that is what they are for , after all. You and your wife deserve better treatment, and a medal for what you do.

Forum Editor 13:15 21 Aug 2017

"The Lincolnshire authorities involved should be ashamed."

I'm only guessing, but I imagine that the people who check renewal applications don't have all the details relating to the disability of each blue badge holder - they simply check each application for supporting document compliance.

The invaiid passport date has obviously triggered a new set of forms, and the request for a birth certificate has come about because lots of people don't have passports. The form is a standard one, so of course it will have questions that aren't relevant to some applicants.

I don't think there's anything for the LA to be ashamed of - the system is working to prevent possible abuse of the scheme, and that's as it should be.

It's just unfortunate that some people will be made to jump through some additional (and probably superfluous) hoops but it's only a bit of form-filling after all.

john bunyan 14:03 21 Aug 2017

F E*

I don't think there's anything for the LA to be ashamed of*

I was referring to hssutton's comments in his post of 10.05 on 21st; not only has he had difficulty on the blue badge, but also with social services, doctors and hospitals, as will be seen from his input on this and other threads. I think his area is deficient in a number of agencies compared to where I live.

morddwyd 20:18 21 Aug 2017

I'm only guessing, but I imagine that the people who check renewal applications don't have all the details relating to the disability of each blue badge holder - they simply check each application for supporting document compliance.

No longer true FE.

Under revised Government (UK) guidance, intended to cut the number of Blue Badges, those who don't qualify automatically for a Blue Badge are addressed by a Local Authority (Social Care) Occupational THerapist, who decides whether to recommend or not.

No doctors, specifically the applicant's GP are involved.

Those who receive the Higher Mobility Component 0f DLA/PIP or the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement automatically qualify for a Blur Badge without further assessment, and LAs have no power to ask for any such assessment, or to refuse to issue a Blue Badge.

You may recall my previous posts on this issue where I wa refused a Blue Badge because a carry a powered wheelchair in the car and "you can park wherever you want and use your scooter" and an elderly man who had had both feet amputated being refused a badge because he had had been fired with prostheses which allowed him to hobble a few yards.

So far as documentation is concerned, the passport is but one of a number of acceptable documents which include, in addition to the ubiquitous energy bill or driving licence, birth certificate, Council Tax Demand, Electoral Registration documents and a few others. There are measures to cope with minors and those not competent or able.

Forum Editor 10:34 22 Aug 2017

morddwyd

Thanks for the clarification.

qwbos 12:29 22 Aug 2017

The irony seems to be that those who are clearly abusing the system apparently manage to get whatever they want with little or no trouble, yet those who genuinely need and depend on these various "services", for want of a better word, appear to struggle.

The ability to lie convincingly, and having access to the correct "tutors" seems to be the secret. In some areas, it's a lifestyle choice/profession. It's shameful that probably everyone who reads this will know/know of at least one person abusing the system.

hssutton 15:47 22 Aug 2017

qwbos

After todays farce with the PIP assessment I would agree. 1-1/2 hours of totally unrelated question. Such as which consultant made my daughters diagnosis 48 years ago, Which area initially made the mobility decision over 30 years ago. What aids does your daughter use to get around. can she bathe or toilet herself, can she prepare her own food, but wanted no proof. After approx 45 minutes I could not stand answering all the question and walked out leaving my wife to answer them. Probably a stupid thing to do, but I was getting totally frustrated. All they wanted where questions answered and where not prepared to see any evidence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?