Blow the whistle, or turn a blind eye?

  hssutton 19:50 27 May 2010

My elderly sister in law has been very ill and is now receiving "Direct Patment" to pay for her care.

Initially the NHS supplied carers for the first six weeks, but this did not include overnight stays, one of these carers said she would stay overnight on occassions, but would expect the same rate of pay provded by the NHS. My sister agreed to this at a rate of £9 an hour.

Now that my Sister in law receives direct payment she still has this carer coming in for several nights a week. I have just found out that this carer, who I understand should not be working privately whilst working as a carer for the NHS is actually on the "sick" with "severe" backpain, but is still going about her "private" work.

Would you blow the whistle or just turn a blind eye.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 27 May 2010

Absolutely no question the carer is taking my tax money. Blow the whistle ASAP.


  morddwyd 19:56 27 May 2010

Blow the whistle.

Benefit cheats are the scourge of our society.

  bri-an 20:11 27 May 2010

Be very, very sure of all the facts before rushing in. Sometimes all is not as clear-cut as one might expect.
You may find yourself very unpopular for doing the whistleblowing, but as long as you can live with it that's OK.

  wiz-king 20:29 27 May 2010

Write to the council praising the carer and tell them how wonderful she is. They get so few letters like that they may put it up on the notice board for others to see(including her boss).

  al's left peg 21:33 27 May 2010

I would be careful what you do here, as she could claim you were employing her and thus be liable for NI contributions and such. By shopping her you are admitting to employing her yourself, so she may claim she injured her back whilst working for you and then set the ambulance chasing solicitors on you.

  spuds 22:21 27 May 2010

The problem nowadays, is the fact that quite a lot of carers are not employed direct by the NHS but by agencies, who in the main use 'casuals', due to the low pay.

Perhaps wiz-king solution might be the best idea. But I would consider all the implications before doing anything. Genuine facts and evidence would be paramount, as would who will fill the 'vacant' position?.

I know two people who use carers everyday, and it can be a thankless job for all parties, and that includes the sick person.

  Forum Editor 22:46 27 May 2010

as some people seem to think. Make absolutely sure that you know all the facts before jumping into whistle-blowing mode.

  hssutton 23:33 27 May 2010

This is the problem being 100% sure. The first instinct is to say, blow the whistle, but then the doubts set in, hence this post.

Just one point is hearsay and that being The NHS carers sickness. Actually there where two carers for the six weeks care provided by the NHS.

It was the second of these carers who when chatting to my wife at the local supermarket today said that the carer in question was off sick with severe back problems. We know for sure that she is doing private work.

Will give it more thought tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this post.

  birdface 10:03 28 May 2010

Well I suppose you could always tell her that her services are no longer required.
It may cost you double the amount to get someone else in to look after your sister.
Or maybe because of you blowing the whistle as you say nobody else may want to do it for you.
In cases of looking after your sister it should be the first priority.
Carers who looked after my mother were from an agency and not from the NHS service.
So whether they got paid for being on the sick or whatever I would not know.
I would just have been glad of the help and let others do what they want.
I can assure you the actual carers who have worked with your sister will know all about the person doing the night shift and if there had been a problem with it they would have discussed it with their supervisors.
If you are not happy with her find someone else and tell her her services are no longer required.
Personally myself I would just be glad of the help and let others worry about whether it is Right or Wrong.

  babybell 10:26 28 May 2010

It is not necessary to have all the facts. The point is you have good reason to believe that something is not right.

You can inform the correct authorities by visiting click here and tell them what you know and if they feel that something is wrong, then they can investigate it. If she isn't doing anything wrong then their won't be a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?