A bit far fetched...

dagbladet 12:33 03 Jan 2010

...That's what I said when Doctor Who jumped out off a spaceship and managed to crash right through the centre of the glass roof and land on the hard floor perfectly between the Master and the Time lords of Galafrey, without squishing himself, "that's a bit far-fetched", my young lad just looked at me and said "as opposed to time-travel, Daleks, Cybermen, planets made of giant spider-webs etc, etc?" I take his point of course, it's just...well, how did he time that jump right from a spaceship?

dagbladet 16:13 03 Jan 2010

"Why do I find that depressing?"

I'm really not sure. Is it because you think it's all too trivial and other folk should share your own cultural tastes?

john bunyan 16:22 03 Jan 2010

"Is it because you think it's all too trivial and other folk should share your own cultural tastes?"
Absolutely not, as you say, each to his/ her own.
Maybe I am getting too much like Victor Meldrew!
I used to like Sci Fi once, in the days of HG Wells and Edgar Rice Burroughs, but find it difficult these days . Somehow a book seems more believable than a film or TV show. Anyway I honestly have no wish to impugn others values!!

dagbladet 16:31 03 Jan 2010

Fair enough, though it leaves me puzzled as to why you are so "depressed" at the viewing figures.

Legolas 17:17 03 Jan 2010

On the same subject. A fiend and myself were at a SC-FI movie a few years ago (waterworld I think, yes that long ago)and on the way out a girl behind us asked her male companion if he had enjoyed the movie, he replied "it was OK but a bit far fetched" my friend and myself just looked at each other and burst out laughing. If it had not been 'far fetched' I would have wanted my money back.

Legolas 17:20 03 Jan 2010

'a fiend' lol they are not thay bad

morddwyd 18:52 03 Jan 2010

"I find most Sci Fi difficult "

I'm the opposite - I've always found Prime Minster's Question's rattling good entertainment!

(well, it is fiction, and it is from the realms of fantasy!).

morddwyd 19:56 04 Jan 2010

I think you'll find that Doctor Who actually is a BBC Wales production!

dagbladet 23:34 05 Jan 2010

...and Mr Tennant is 100% Jockanese.

Forum Editor 00:31 06 Jan 2010

It's true, Doctor Who isn't strictly 'English' at all - it's a BBC Wales production.

dagbladet 07:39 06 Jan 2010

DANZIG

"Isn't the whole point of Doctor Who that it IS meant to be far fetched?"

Yes, hence the whole point of my OP. I could suspend belief for a myriad of things including time-travel etc, yet the 'jump' tipped the balance. It was irony or something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo confirms Find X2 flagship phone for 2020

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Soldes d’hiver 2020 : dates, sites participants et bons plans