Bike accident

  scarecrow-bill 23:20 25 Jan 2011

My brother had a accident whilst waiting at a give way.
A car ran into the back of him. I have a couple of questions
The driver left his details with a witness but refused to wait for the police. Can he do this.

How fast do you think the vehicle would need to be traveling to cause this damage.

bike is a honda hornet 600 and car is a citroen xzaria
click here

  MAJ 23:32 25 Jan 2011

I once got a severe ticking off from a police officer because I left the scene of an RTA (important meeting) even though I wasn't directly involved in the accident. I don't think the guy that crashed into the back of your brother should have left the scene, he could have been over the drink driving limit for example.

  Forum Editor 23:34 25 Jan 2011

with a witness but refused to wait for the police. Can he do this."

Yes, provided he gave his details to someone at the scene he is not obliged to wait for the Police. If he hit a stationary vehicle (your brother's bike) he can hardly claim the accident wasn't his fault.

Nobody can give an opinion as to the speed of the car from a rather indistinct photograph - that's something for the Police and the insurers to sort out. The fact that there was a witness to the accident is helpful, for that person would presumably have made a statement to Police.

Make sure your brother reports this to his insurers as soon as possible, even though he claims he wasn't to blame.

  scarecrow-bill 23:50 25 Jan 2011

Brother was on the bike at the time.
When the driver left he awaiting the ambulance.
Turns out he was not seriously hurt.

  Forum Editor 00:17 26 Jan 2011

the other driver is still not legally obliged to wait at the scene for the Police. If someone is injured however, and he didn't produce his insurance certificate at the scene he is required to report to a Police station (any Police station) within 24 hours of the accident and present his insurance certificate for examination.

He may alternatively report to any Police officer he sees within 24 hours, but that's a bit of a technicality - an officer in the street would almost certainly tell him to go to a Police station.

The idea that drivers must wait at the scene is a myth, regardless of what individual Police officers might say. The critical factors are that you must give your details to anyone at the scene who might reasonably request them, and that if anyone is injured you must report to a Police station within 24 hours with your insurance certificate.

  Strawballs 00:46 26 Jan 2011

That's a good way to get away with drink driving then all you have to do is go home and hve a drink then they can't prove you had been drink driving stupid rule I think!!!

  robin_x 01:30 26 Jan 2011

Queuing on a motorway sliproad in a Volvo 440, a Vauxhall Corsa didn't realise we were all stopped and realised too late we were stopped.

I heard him lock his wheels up a little bit back and then he hit at probably only 10-15mph.

The whold of my back end was crumpled about an inch. His Corsa was stove in about 18", undriveable.

We swapped details and he said "I've only just got it out of the garage after the same thing 3 weeks ago". What a pillock.

I didn't care, my car was still driveable.
And as it was a company car I just let HR book it in for repair, courtesy car, haggle with insurance etc. I just had to fill in a claim and draw a little picture of the road layout.

  morddwyd 08:30 26 Jan 2011

As a small tip, when you ring the police tell them you think you can smell drink.

Not only will they come very quickly, but if the driver's already left they will quickly find him/her.

  Miké 13:45 26 Jan 2011

and if followed it could be said you were committing the offence of 'attempting to pervert the course of justice'.


  namtas 15:57 26 Jan 2011

As I understand the generally advised situation for proceeding when involved in a road accident. If you need to stop, and you would in this instance as a person involved in the accident had been injured. then you must stay with the vehicle until anyone involved in the accident has had the chance to ask you for your contact information and/or insurance details. If you are asked for your information by anyone involved in the incident (e.g. injured person, owner of a dog injured in the bump, a police officer or witness) then you must supply your name and address, your registration number and if the car you are driving isn't yours, the details of the registered vehicle owner.

  spuds 16:28 26 Jan 2011

Giving details to witness's doesn't mean a thing, because these can be false, so I hope that the witness's took the relevant details of observation.

If there was third party injuries involving humans, then the parties involved are required to remain at the scene.

Your brother or next of kin will no doubt receive a bill from the ambulance services within a short period of time for services rendered, because it was a road traffic incident. The insurance company will pay this, with the possibility that it might be classed as a claim procedure.

Notify the insurance company and the police without delay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?