biggest wave of industrial action for 85 Years!

Autoschediastic 14:53 18 Jun 2011

Its a real shame no one got together and complained like this about the petrol prices like they did years ago!!!

READ THIS

Simsy 08:24 21 Jun 2011

An earlier post criticised the attitude of some Union members... One of the things often overlooked concerning Union leaders is that they have a DUTY to act in the best interests of their members. Rather like lawyers defending those accused of the most unspeakable crimes. AS a result they may have to take a stand on behalf of others that is not completely in line with their personal belief. (I'm sure the same can be said for many; doctors, soldiers etc)

It would be wrong for lawyers not to do their best... and it would be wrong for Union leaders also.

The trick is to get the balance right between the "short term" good, and the "long term" good. Not an easy one to pull off... and success can't be judged in the short term anyway. It's always measured in the long term!

Regards,

Simsy

Pine Man 10:32 21 Jun 2011

For the majority of my working life in the public sector I paid 11% of my salary as a contribution towards my pension. That is a very high payment for a pension that most of the public seemed, at the time, to think was free!

I am now living off that pension, which was supposed to be reviewed annually according to RPI. The government have now decreed that my pension will be reviewed annually according to CPI, which is significantly lower.

As I said in an earlier post I am happy to take this cut as my share of helping the country to recover.

I know all the political parties blame each other or some other world wide factor for the financial crisis but the fact remains that who, or whatever, caused the problem, it existed before this government took power and has to be rectified.

bremner 10:46 21 Jun 2011

Pine Man

I am in the same position as you, having paid 11% and now reviewed by CPI. I therefore find it hard to have any sympathy with workers moaning that there 1.5% contribuion is to be raised to 5%.

I also agree with your last two paragraphs.

T0SH 16:15 21 Jun 2011

It might help if the members (incidentally also public service employees)of the government shared some of the pain they seem intent on imposing on the masses, by foregoing their own final salary pension scheme

or maybe this just to much to ask ?(don`t do as I do do as I say) springs to mind

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Digital humans aren't just possible - they're essential in today's top games

iMac 27in (2019) review

Les bons plans appareils photos (2019)