Big problems with my Amazon account

BT 17:53 30 Aug 2018
Answered

A couple of days ago I got an Email from Amazon confirming an order for a number of mobile phone accessories which I most definitely didn't order. It said for delivery to my normal address. I checked my account and couldn't see any evidence of the order. I reported it to Amazon and received an automated acknowledgement. I checked my Credit Card account and found the items listed as pending payment, whereupon I cancelled my Card for safety reasons.

Over the next couple of days I've received a number of Emails from Amazon showing requests, supposedly from me, to change my password and the authorisation codes for secure login, all of which I've reported to Amazon.

It seems that my Account has been hacked along with my Email but what I can't understand is why they should still be directing the emails etc. to me, and why if they're trying to buy stuff on my account the delivery address shown should be my usual one, although they've probably fiddled that as well.

I've since found that although the purchases didn't show up on my 'Recent orders' list it seems they had hidden the orders as Amazon allows you to do and I only found them by using the 'Search orders' facility where they then showed up and I managed to cancel one of them as payment had been refused, because I've cancelled the card, but the other two say they've been dispatched.

So what I've done is changed my User name, password and Email address and deleted my Credit Cards from my account so at least that will stop them buying anything else if they get in again. It would seem to me that the best solution would be to cancel my Amazon account and start up a new one but it seems that if you do that you lose all your Kindle and Music Cloud content as well as any Apps you've bought.

MJS WARLORD 18:42 30 Aug 2018

after every transaction I log back into my account and remove the card details I just used , somehow they got details of my new card that I had never used on amazon ?

rdave13 21:51 30 Aug 2018

That's a big heads up for me BT and thank you for posting and hope you can sort out your difficulty with Amazon's lack of security. I hope you will get it sorted.

rdave13 21:53 30 Aug 2018

MJS WARLORD tedious but a sound idea.

MJS WARLORD 23:52 30 Aug 2018

footnote.... with so many companies refusing to acknowledge they got hacked I never saved card details for next time ….. example steam has been hacked many times so I always untick the box that says save account details for future purchases.

BT 08:06 31 Aug 2018

Update

Of the 3 items 'bought' on my Credit Card, one was refused payment after I cancelled my card. I checked my card account this morning and two of the items, including the 'refused payment' one, have been deleted from my account and there is one still 'Pending' so obviously the Card Company have done their job so far.

According to Amazon tracking one of the items was supposed to be delivered yesterday and obviously this didn't happen, not to my address at least, and the other is supposed to be delivered today but I won't hold my breath.

MJS WARLORD

I think I will consider deleting my Card details after each use, but I feel there could be a problem if I delete them too soon before the payment is applied.

MJS WARLORD 08:31 31 Aug 2018

Deleting card details like i do wont cause a problem , you are deleting payment method , it shows last few numbers of card you just used

Forum Editor 08:34 31 Aug 2018

Almost always in these cases, the fraudster will order goods to be sent to your home address, then lie in wait outside and intercept the delivery driver. Amazon Prime has made it easier for them - they know exactly when to wait.

That's when the problems arise - people who dispute the payment with Amazon are told that goods were dispatched to their home address, and are provided with a dispatch note.

That part of it isn't Amazon's fault - they received an order and fulfilled it. At that stage, they wouldn't know anything about a fraud. Often, banks have refunded their cardholders, and then taken the money back again, once they see the dispatch note. It's a difficult situation.

Part of the solution is for Amazon to instruct all delivery drivers never to part with goods to someone outside a property - they should only be handed over at the door. It's not foolproof, because where blocks of flats are concerned, a fraudster will often get into a lobby using the tradesman button and wait there for the driver.

The other part of the solution is to increase server security, so only account holders can access card details. That's easier said than done, however. If you don't allow your card details to be stored, you are safe, but millions of people do opt for them to be stored, and they will continue to do so, regardless. That thinking is based on the premise that 'I'm in a huge shoal of fish, and the chance of me being the victim are very small indeed'.

From an individual's point of view, the theory holds good....until that one in X million chance comes up.

BT 09:11 31 Aug 2018

Almost always in these cases, the fraudster will order goods to be sent to your home address, then lie in wait outside and intercept the delivery driver

I know this happens but in this case I'm not so sure. My wife had a delivery of an item from Amazon yesterday by our usual Hermes driver, so the fraudsters wouldn't have known which delivery it was. It was at about the same time as he normally turns up and we live on a quiet close with little footfall so anyone hanging around would be noticeable. If the packets were sent by Post our postman knows us so its unlikely he would hand them to someone else. I feel that it was probably a trial order as it was of low value items from different sellers and the whole 3 items were only around £30

Al94 10:11 31 Aug 2018

Part of the solution is for Amazon to instruct all delivery drivers never to part with goods to someone outside a property - they should only be handed over at the door.

In my experience this already is the case. A few times a delivery has come when I am working in the garden or car washing. I offer to take the parcel to save them time but they decline telling me they must deliver it to my door. So it appears Amazon may give this instruction but maybe not all couriers adhere to it.

BT 13:09 31 Aug 2018
Answer

Update 2

Both items were delivered today, one by courier the other by the Postman, so I really can't see what the hacker has gained by his actions apart from causing me a load of grief.

Both items will now be returned for a refund. The return labels are already printed out.

My replacement Credit Cards were also delivered today so the status quo is returned.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs