Big Brother Will be Watching you ?

amonra 20:40 19 Jun 2009

Whilst watching TV at lunchtime, one of the ladies on "Loose Women" raised a a very interesting point. The new government initiative of fast broadband for all would give them potential access into every house in this country. Is this the first step on the slippery slope to George Orwell's nightmare of 1984?
What do members think ?????

laurie53 20:40 19 Jun 2009

How?

Brumas 20:59 19 Jun 2009

"Better get the tin foil lined hat out to stop them listening into your thoughts..."
Must admit, that made me chuckle...

Clapton is God 21:11 19 Jun 2009

"What do members think ?????"

This one thinks that you must learn to take more water with it

laurie53 08:11 20 Jun 2009

"one of the ladies on "Loose Women" raised a a very interesting point. "

A real authoritative source then!

Colin 17:24 20 Jun 2009

It's just another typically ignorant comment made by people who don't understand what they are talking about. It's similar to people who think you can wipe your hard drive by pressing the delete key on a keyboard.

Clapton is God 19:39 20 Jun 2009

How do you make a "reasoned response" to a nonsensical assertion, pray tell?

Oh, and by the way, we're not "you lot" we're all individuals.

amonra 21:15 21 Jun 2009

OOH, you are a touchy lot aren't you. I only posted the item because I was bored out my skull sitting at home after a very minor op and nothing better to think about. It just struck me that this could be the start of the slippery slope to B.Brother. I realise you need a camera in every home to complete the setup, but think of the number of cameras that already exist in public spaces without anyone raising objections. How much longer before your friendly neighbourhood watch would like to instal a camera "For your security and peace of mind" !!!!!!

laurie53 08:42 22 Jun 2009

"Fast broadband won't lead to the government watching your every move but it might lead to private business doing it, with your consent."

Yes, they're called private security companies!

Forum Editor 16:59 22 Jun 2009

Supermarkets are trialling a system that would send a text to your mobile phone: "Those biscuits you like are back in stock again" whenever it sensed that you (or more correctly your phone) had entered a nearby network cell.

It would remind you that you must be running out of coffee since you last purchased any a month ago, or that your favourite wine was on special offer.

Colin 12:46 23 Jun 2009

Call me naive but people seem to be bringing this down to a personal level. Any direct marketing is brought about by a computer programme collating information. Companies aren't interested in Mrs Smith as an individual buying bananas every other Saturday but they are interested in what a mass of people buy – a demographic. I’ve noticed that my e-mails from DABS and EBuyer contain information about products I’ve previously looked at as well as their general offers but my wife’s e-mails contain different products. Their software has done this automatically. Amazon’s website has this feature and I don’t have a problem with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The art projects making this 2019 General Election more bearable

Funny things to ask Siri

Test : LIZ, la bouteille connectée française de NOERDEN