Best Electric Scooter to buy?

Duncan Slade 21:21 18 Aug 2019
  wee eddie 23:26 18 Aug 2019

Duncan: Paragraphs 3 to 6 tell you that riding on the Road (Public Highway) is illegal. It also says that although the Law is, in their opinion, out of date. That is the law of the land.

I find it difficult to read the article in any other way.

I'll admit that the article suggests that, if you ride considerately on the pavement, you are unlikely to be prosecuted, but this is also true for pedal cyclists.

Menzie 03:22 19 Aug 2019

Here cyclists aren't supposed to be on the pavement but it isn't enforced. So you find most cyclists on the pavements.

A lot of electric scooters, electric bicycles and petrol powered bicycles have started appearing and these are ridden by some on the pavement.

The petrol powered bicycles concern me as some of them can go quite quickly. They have the ability to cause quite an injury if they collide with a pedestrian.

Quickbeam 06:31 19 Aug 2019

Menzie

"Upon purchase, the buyer agrees to use products for racing (closed-course competition) only and NOT for on/off public roads."

So not legal unless registered on a DVLA V5, insured and taxed. It's a motorcycle.

Quickbeam 06:34 19 Aug 2019

Duncan Slade

There is no doubt that they will look into the use of electric scooters, but it'll be along the lines of the ebike regs. Maximum speed 15 mph and power assist not throttle powered with no assist. That basically means all those that are about now will never be legal.

Quickbeam 06:42 19 Aug 2019

Motorised cycles aren't new.

wee eddie 08:20 19 Aug 2019

Quickbeam: In the 50's and 60's, France was a awash with powered pedal cycles.

These machines had a small petrol engine mounted over the front wheel and driven by a rotating spindle, which was in contact with the top of the tyre

BT 09:00 19 Aug 2019

These machines had a small petrol engine mounted over the front wheel and driven by a rotating spindle, which was in contact with the top of the tyre

My Dad had one of these and I believe it had to be taxed and insured.

wee eddie 09:16 19 Aug 2019

BT: You could be right. That was not a question I ever thought of asking

Menzie 11:07 19 Aug 2019

I hadn't seen motorised cycles before fairly recently. Didn't know they went back that far in being created.

After reading about your laws on them I looked up our local laws on them. It turns out they are illegal and that the police can fine the owner and confiscate the bicycle.

Doesn't seem to be enforced from what I've seen or a deterrent for some. A few months back one went across a green light at an intersection, when one of the motorists who had to screech to a halt blew their horn, they were greeted to a finger from the rider.

oresome 16:45 19 Aug 2019

My father used to travel to/from work on a Cyclemaster in the late 50s and early 60s.

He later upgraded to a Norman Nippy which was a 50cc scooter.

My brother went one better and had a bubble car. It could be embarrassing sometimes as the front opened out to exit and it had no reverse gear. Park too close to an obstacle and you couldn't get out!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)