Benefit sanctions ineffective and damaging

oresome 08:04 22 May 2018

So concludes a study headed by Prof Peter Dwyer of the University of York.

Yet a DWP spokesperson said: “Our research shows that over 70% of JSA claimants say sanctions make it more likely they will comply with reasonable and agreed requirements, and it is understandable that people meet certain expectations in return for benefits.

So who's right?

click here

Cymro. 11:17 22 May 2018

I would have thought that a report by a Prof Peter Dwyer would be more independent than anything said be a spokesman from D.W.P. As far as I can see the Professor has no axe to grind whereas the DWP spokesman has it in his interest to make it look as if DWP polacy is working.

HondaMan 14:39 22 May 2018

I would want to know two things a) On whose behalf was the report prepared and b) who was paying him

martd7 16:04 22 May 2018

A friend of mine worked for the Jobcentre earlier this year,she said the pressure to sanction people for the slightest misdemeanor was enormous,plus setting unrealistic targets for job applications led to a sense of unfairness,she quit after 2month and went to work elsewhere

Forum Editor 22:45 22 May 2018

The pendulum principle operates in all kinds of situations.

There is widespread abuse of the benefit system, so we have to do something about it. Sanctions against people who try to cheat the system is one way, but human nature is such that the pendulum swings too far.

Those who have to administer the sanctions must get that familiar 'damned if we don't and damned if we do' feeling.

Cymro. 11:32 23 May 2018

click link here

F.E. There is widespread abuse of the benefit system Just an example

daz60 19:04 23 May 2018

Benefit fraud 'pays',after all she stole £73,000 but only has to repay £23,000 ,£50,000 jollies to keep.Likelihood is she will be unemployed when or if repayment begins so it will be taken out of any benefit she receives and there is the problem.

In other cases the same applies, steal benefits-repay what you stole-if on benefits money is automatically taken,anyone see the problem.!?

bumpkin 12:06 24 May 2018

Hardly a detterent is it!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

PostPanic's latest short film is a thrilling love letter to film and TV history

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet (2018)