Beleive insurance company Robbed me

nickthenuke 16:31 15 Jun 2017
Answered

I had an accident last nearly two years ago, I was edging into another road but stopped when I saw the car and it hit my bumper. The person claimed to have dash cam footage and ""somehow!!"" wasn’t available. The insurance company decided it was cheaper to settle but I didn’t agree and they went ahead with it. Reviewing it I don’t believe it was legal or decide on my behalf is this correct? I didn’t claim anything yet said person claimed 5000 pound.

iscanut 17:38 15 Jun 2017

What do you think it has robbed you of ? Did you have damage and did you make a claim ? Why bring this up 2 years later ?

oresome 17:41 15 Jun 2017

If I understand correctly, you were involved in an accident and your insurer paid the third party for the damaged caused to their vehicle.

I fail to understand how you were 'robbed'.

Perhaps you lost your no claims bonus?

nickthenuke 18:09 15 Jun 2017

Because it took a long time to settle before the verdict was decided, if you understand how long law proceedings can be.

I am talking about how there was no dash cam footage , and yet was ruled favour of the 3rd party. Also the decision to take liability wasn't discussed wth me . ( yes no claims )

bremner 18:51 15 Jun 2017

You edged into the road and were hit by another vehicle. It doesn't matter that you stopped it was clearly your fault. Something your insurance company decided.

You were not robbed - get over it and move on.

Quickbeam 18:53 15 Jun 2017
Answer
  Belatucadrus 18:58 15 Jun 2017

Lack of Dash cam footage is irrelevant, they're useful in deciding fault when available but still fitted to a minority of cars so the insurance company had to look at what was available and decide liability on what they have as per usual. You pulled out too far in front of oncoming traffic and got hit, I don't see that they had any other option.

As to "Robbed you" they used their own money not yours so nobody Robbed you. Regarding the £5000 pound claim we can't pass judgement on that as we have no info on what vehicles were involved or how much damage was incurred.

The terms "Verdict and Law Proceedings" seem to imply Court action rather than a simple insurance claim, is this the case ?

morddwyd 19:52 15 Jun 2017

In this case right or wrong don't matter,

When you took our a policy you agreed to let the insurance company act on your behalf (You may not remember it but you did.).

THey have done so!

bumpkin 21:22 15 Jun 2017

* When you took our a policy you agreed to let the insurance company act on your behalf (You may not remember it but you did.).*

Quite right morddwyd, so I fail to see what OP is complainig about nor has he explained why he feels robbed. Has he lost bonus, had a premium increase, had to pay an excess? We don't know who's "Fault" it was in reality so the insurance company has to make that decision as they have taken the responsibility.

bumpkin 21:41 15 Jun 2017

A bit off the question but may be of interest to some. About 35yrs back when people used pens and paper a friend of mine was a claims negotiator for a major insurance company, I happened to see some of his paperwork with loads of crossing outs starting at £200. I asked what it was and he explained £200 was their first offer, 2 yrs later they paid £40,000 out of court. When I asked why they didn't go to court he said "we will lose anyway"

Forum Editor 22:27 15 Jun 2017

The insurance company decided it was cheaper to settle but I didn’t agree and they went ahead with it.

"Also the decision to take liability wasn't discussed wth me ."

It doesn't have to be discussed with you - the claim wasn't made against you, it was against your insurers. The company has a right to settle the claim if it thinks fit. Nobody has robbed you, because you weren't the one settling the claim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?