Ban on NHS Fax machines...

Quickbeam 07:31 09 Dec 2018

Apparently they're a security risk. I've never heard of them being a security risk.

But more interesting from the link, how many of us thought that they were an '80s invention?

alanrwood 10:28 09 Dec 2018

They certainly were not an 80's invention. I worked for Brother in the early 70's and we used a very slow fax machine to communicate with Japan.

Quickbeam 10:46 09 Dec 2018

What's 10 years when I was over a century out in the first place!

Forum Editor 10:54 09 Dec 2018

"I've never heard of them being a security risk."

Patient data, sent via a fax, can potentially be seen by anyone who happens to walk past the machine when it has printed something.

"But more interesting from the link, how many of us thought that they were an '80s invention?"

The link doesn't say that. It says that the first fax machine was invented in 1842, that they were being used commercially in the early 1900s and use of fax machines became widespread in the 1970s and 80s.

Quickbeam 11:05 09 Dec 2018

The early 1980s would have been my best guess answer in a pub quiz!

Forum Editor 14:28 09 Dec 2018

",,,,you cant send a fax on a phone number"

All faxes are sent to phone numbers, but I know what you mean.

john bunyan 14:54 09 Dec 2018

I thought that contracts, for example, were more valid by fax than as an email attachment as they are hard to modify by the receiver. This certainly was the case in the ‘80’s in commodity buying.

john bunyan 14:58 09 Dec 2018
  Jondrew 15:01 09 Dec 2018

Given the recent failures in the NHS of the computers they own which resulted in a severe lack of patient data it would seem unwise to reduce access to "old" technology which could be used to obtain at least some information. Until those responsible for computer systems realise that security updates are important and that introducing "new" systems without the capacity to revert seamlessly to the old if things go wrong then retention of such fail safe facilities should be retained. Fortunately as yet the "old" hard wired 'phone systems have not been dumped in lieu of "new" mobile facilities (although it would appear many only use such communication).

Forum Editor 15:40 09 Dec 2018

It's easy enough to print hard copies of digital files.

bremner 16:35 09 Dec 2018

Many Fax machines are unlikely to be GDPR compliant as they are often communal devices where messages are not sent to and accessible only by a named individual, like email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)