Ban on Hands Free Mobile?

Cymro. 09:05 13 Aug 2019

BBC link

Drivers could be banned from using hands-free mobile phones in England and Wales, a group of MPs has suggested.

Current laws give the "misleading impression" that hands-free options are safe, they warned.

While it has been illegal to use a handheld phone at the wheel since 2003, using a hands-free device creates "the same risks of collision",

Menzie 14:55 13 Aug 2019

Oresome - My car is by no means a fancy one. It is considered to be an 'econobox' as the say.

Dunk - It is if they aren't following the rules of the road, the law or whatever else people break these days.

oresome 15:07 13 Aug 2019

Menzie

I'm blaming the cars I drive, but the common denominator is my Yorkshire accent.

Forum Editor 15:37 13 Aug 2019

I would welcome such a ban, it would provide me with a legitimate excuse for not answering my constantly ringing phone when in the car. At the moment, people are always asking me why I didn't respond, and when i say I was driving they always say the same thing which is 'don't you have hands-free facilities in the car?'

I do, but I don't use it these days. I once had a narrow escape when I was engaged on a hands-free call on a big roundabout in the Midlands. I missed being hit by a huge lorry by six inches, and it would have been my fault. That was my warning, and I heeded it. You simply cannot concentrate on your driving to the same degree if you are talking on the phone - at least I obviously can't. My wife is a different story - she can think about many things at the same time, as she repeatedly reminds me.

Menzie 16:07 13 Aug 2019

Oresome - Ah, say no more. I had a co-worker with a very thick Yorkshire Accent back in Britain. He had to repeat himself numerous times when communicating with other coworkers.

We also had a bloke with a Scottish accent. :-)

WhirlingRound 18:00 13 Aug 2019

Such a complete ban cannot come a moment too soon.

I've made it clear to so many people how against mobile use and driving I am. When anyone tries phoning and doesn't get a reply, they assume I'm driving. When asked once if my car had bluetooth, I said thankfully not. That would be one distraction too many.

Personally I think a 12 month ban at the very least, AND a hefty fine should be aimed at those flouting the law. NO IFS, NOT BUTS!

The likes of BMW, VAG group manufacturers who appear to be promoting the use of mobile communications in their cars/SUVs and similar monstrocities with all the tech they build in. I would never want that in my car.

Menzie 18:07 13 Aug 2019

Don't go to Florida; driving with a mobile in hand is totally legal there.

Driving while texting is illegal but speaking on a cell phone isn't. They are looking to change that it seems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4