Ban on Hands Free Mobile?

Cymro. 09:05 13 Aug 2019

BBC link

Drivers could be banned from using hands-free mobile phones in England and Wales, a group of MPs has suggested.

Current laws give the "misleading impression" that hands-free options are safe, they warned.

While it has been illegal to use a handheld phone at the wheel since 2003, using a hands-free device creates "the same risks of collision",

alanrwood 09:17 13 Aug 2019

The next thing is to ban talking to your passengers while driving.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 13 Aug 2019

complete waste of time making a law that is unenforceable.

What is needed i technology to block the phone when its inside the car.

Pine Man 10:22 13 Aug 2019

'the rate of enforcement regarding phone use has fallen by more than two-thirds'

So introducing more legislation that is even more difficult to enforce is unlikely to make the slightest diffence to offending rates.

Belatucadrus 11:01 13 Aug 2019

Perhaps they should consider enforcing existing laws before contemplating extending legislation. You still see way too many drivers footling along with a mobile in hand.

wee eddie 11:26 13 Aug 2019

Having been a Taxi Driver for the last 8 years, I can confirm that using a Hands Free Mobile Phone is dangerous. Perhaps, not as dangerous as driving with one hand on the steering wheel, while holding a Phone to your ear with the other, but dangerous to Road Users round about you, never the less.

With a Hands Free you have physical control of the vehicle, but your mind may be elsewhere and not be able to react in an emergency. The rest of the time there is no problem, however emergencies are, by their very nature, unpredictable.

A ban will make life difficult for many road users, particularly those in the Service Industries, but we are inventive cusses and will sort out a workaround, in time.

grumpy old man 11:33 13 Aug 2019

Common sense should tell you that ANY method of using a phone in a car is not a good idea. I only did hands free a couple of times and nearly had an accident because without realising it I kept looking up at the speakers on the cars corners pillar. I think I must have done it to make sure my voice was being carried towards the speakers.

Many years ago back in the days of C.B. radios a local woman was chatting whilst driving , a lot of people heard her say hang on a minute I am just turning left at this ……. We never heard her say the word roundabout !

You need to remember this for the sake of your family and others involved in any accidents that may occour ….. you can only die once.

john bunyan 12:36 13 Aug 2019

I usually put my iPhone in aeroplane mode if I’m alone in the car.

Menzie 13:02 13 Aug 2019

I have a hands free system in my car. Any incoming messages are read aloud by the vehicle. A tap of the button on the steering wheel and I dictate the message and tell it to send. If I need to send a message I press the button, say who I want to send it to and then the message. All without taking my eyes off the road and while monitoring my surroundings.

My car also has a host of safety systems, it lets you know when you're straying across the line and nudges you back, it lets you know when you're too close to the vehicles in front and slows down. It also lets you know if someone is in your blind spot or if the car behind if originally clear, is speeding up and about to close the gap (that driver may not be paying attention). If you're reversing out of a parking spot it will beep to tell you something is coming and stop if you don't heed the warning.

I live in one of the worse driving areas in the country. Yesterday someone clipped a tractor trailer on the motorway. They were tailgating the vehicle in front and decided to swerve into the lane the truck was in. They clearly didn't know the length of their vehicle and clipped the truck causing an accident.

Thankfully I'm quite a good driver, I keep my distance, predict situations and constantly monitor my surroundings. It's the other motorists that are the problem. These days impatience, aggressiveness, self-entitlement and stupidity seem to be the main cause of accidents.

Dunk 14:22 13 Aug 2019

"Thankfully I'm quite a good driver, I keep my distance, predict situations and constantly monitor my surroundings. It's the other motorists that are the problem."

Surely that sums up most of our problems - it is always the other guy's fault.

oresome 14:34 13 Aug 2019

The law as it stands doesn't make sense.

The physical impediment of juggling a phone while driving is only part of the problem. The distraction of holding a phone conversation with someone impairs driving ability by whatever method it's done.

It is completely different to holding a conversation with a passenger where they are aware of the surroundings and can understand pauses where full concentration is required for the driving.

Voice recognition software is simply not good enough in the type of cars I drive to reply to texts with anything other than an OK.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Comment avoir un badge Super Fan Facebook ?