Bad news for for the Hooray Henry set!

Quickbeam 07:18 07 Jan 2018

A U-turn for the planed U-turn on hunting with hounds.

A U-turn too far is it for the self styled Pewter Lady, Maggie/May...?

morddwyd 09:06 07 Jan 2018

Wow! A major shift in Government policy.

This could affect Brexit and our relationship with the free world.

Ye Gods! Is that the major issue of the day?

Must be what they call in the trade "a slack news day".

Syria, N Korea and Iran take a back seat, the British have more important matters to deal with (or not)!

Cymro. 10:24 07 Jan 2018

To be honest I am not what some would call an "animal lover" but as morddwyd suggests there are surely more important things to worry about.

alanrwood 11:58 07 Jan 2018

Well I for one welcome this. Fox hunting is a barbaric throw back to the days of the old landed gentry.

Forum Editor 11:58 07 Jan 2018

The first thing to say is that anyone who has any knowledge of foxhunting knows that its adherents are definitely not all 'Hooray Henry' types.

It was a practice that was enjoyed by both town and country dwellers from all levels of society. When I was in my twenties and thirties I lived in an area where foxhunting took place, and I can attest to the fact that 'Hooray Henry' types were decidedly thin on the ground.

That said, killing animals for 'sport' can never be justified in an enlightened society, and attempts to justify foxhunting by claiming that it keeps a pest in check are laughable. The same applies to the 'hunts provide jobs for people who would otherwise be unemployed' excuse.

The ban should remain in force forever, and as others have suggested, we should all get on with worrying about far more important things, such as whether we have colour A or colour B on our kitchen walls at home. I suggested that there might be no need to redecorate at all, and was told it wasn't something that was up for discussion.

canarieslover 15:10 07 Jan 2018

FE - Just give her a paint brush and roller and go away for a long weekend.

Old Deuteronomy 15:59 07 Jan 2018

I'm sure this "u-turn" is more to do with avoiding another potential embarrassment in The House, than a renewed respect for the welfare of foxes. I signed the Labour petition some weeks ago but, I suspect the 150,000+ signatures collected had little influence.

Quickbeam 16:56 07 Jan 2018

"I'm sure this "u-turn" is more to do with avoiding another potential embarrassment in The House"

Well at least one other recognised the reason for this U-turn! Weak government...

john bunyan 18:22 07 Jan 2018

I actually wrote to my (Tory) MP at the time of the last election - I am not a Party member - to say that their manifesto was the worst I have ever seen, upsetting us oldies, the youth etc, and that a final nail in their coffin was the foxhunting proposal. After all , the foxhunting fraternity is likely to vote tory with or without this proposal, and it enrages the rest of us. A "sport" that has outlived its time. I wish the Spanish would ban bullfighting, an even worse so called sport.

As other have said, the economy, NHS, Brexit etc are enough and more to deal with.

morddwyd 11:04 08 Jan 2018

I used to follow the hunt as a youngster, as did moi of my contemporaries, though I wouldn't now. No-one ever call led me a hooray Henry! Is this a thinly disguised class warfare thing?

Incidentally, a large proportion of them are Harriets, not Henrys.

Quickbeam 12:23 08 Jan 2018

My humour appears to have overshot several foreheads by a whistling whisker...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs