Attempt ransomware from apparently my own e mail

john bunyan 16:48 25 Oct 2018
Answered

I am slowly changing from a Talk Talk POP e mail to Outlook IMAP. To avoid spam with TT etc, I log in initially to TT not via my PC / Office Outlook but via their business e mail website. Here, I have, over the years, blacklisted many attempts with spam etc, and have deleted them on the web without downloading to my PC. In the past I have received the odd e mail apparently from myself. In the last week I have seen and backlisted and deleted 3 more from "me" stating that a trojan has been put on and requesting payment in bitcoin to avoid friends etc being sent copies of the "mucky" sites I visit! I am 99% sure this is the usual attempt to con one, and would report it if I knew how, without wanting to download the offending e mail onto my PC. I would be grateful for advice from TT folk as to how to forward such things if I get more. At 81 my friends would congratulate me if they saw a picture of me doing what the sender suggests!

john bunyan 17:02 25 Oct 2018

PS I use MBAM Premium and Defender. No problems with scans, nor with ADWCleaner.

john bunyan 07:52 26 Oct 2018

Any views? I’ll change my TT password

Forum Editor 08:52 26 Oct 2018
Answer

"...stating that a trojan has been put on and requesting payment in bitcoin to avoid friends etc being sent copies of the "mucky" sites I visit!"

You, and millions of others are receiving these emails. They are rubbish, and should simply be deleted on sight.

Changing your password is a good idea. Otherwise, make sure you run regular scans and carry on with your life.

Quickbeam 18:13 26 Oct 2018

Just looking at my own primary email I find that I have over 24,000 unread emails over the years!

I could well have some scam attempt in there too, but I only read the email that I'm expecting or looking for such is the amount of unsolicited mail that arrives.

Quickbeam 18:24 26 Oct 2018

I just deleted all email over 6 months as a safety clearance measure, if I haven't seen it after 6 months it can't have been important.

john bunyan 18:41 26 Oct 2018

Thanks for the replies; I will delete others on the web before download to PC. This ability to make it seem a mail is coming from oneself is very annoying.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?