Are you leaving your central heating on??

rickf 19:32 21 Dec 2010

Just wondering how many are leaving their CH on 24/7 at the moment. I tend to turn it off for about 5/6hrs in the night when in bed. Cost is going to be very high for the next bill. Mine's on almost all day as I am working fromhome.

Forum Editor 11:36 24 Dec 2010

The problem with having a room-stat on a landing is that it reads what is a fairly warm area in the house. Stairwells act as chimneys, warm air rises from below, and the thermostat will read that.

The result is that it won't call for heat from the boiler, although the temperature in one of the rooms it controls may be below that required.

The ideal place for a thermostat is on the wall in the downstairs hallway. That's usually the coolest part of an average house, so the stat will call for heat more often. You can then control the temperature in the rooms separately with Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs). That can't happen efficiently if a stat on a landing has told the boiler to stop firing.

CurlyWhirly 11:39 24 Dec 2010

Talking about thermostats, we have them on all the radiators
----------------------------------------------------
I thought that you had to leave at least one radiator without a Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) to avoid the situation where all of your rooms have reached the required temperature (therefore the TRV's shuts off all the radiators) but the hot water has no where to go and gets continually pumped around the central heating system until the heat exchanger cracks !

tullie 12:24 24 Dec 2010

You have been warned folks,dont mention butterflies or moths.

spuds 12:29 24 Dec 2010

Thats about what the installation inspector suggested. But having had a week of disruption in the household by the trades-people,and possibly a further day or two making these later alterations, we were inclined to leave alone, which the installation inspector agreed with.

It doesn't seem to be a problem, but we still wonder if we did right?.

spuds 12:36 24 Dec 2010

On the original installation, the bathroom radiator was a 'straight-through' with no thermostat, but ordinary shut-off valves. When the heating installation was 'modernised', all the radiators where fitted with thermostats, which the inspector approved.

One thing that he did pick up instantly, and had the electrician return, was the earth bonding on the installation that had not been fully complied with.

Quickbeam 13:17 24 Dec 2010

This is all quite high tech compared to 40 years ago when the paraffin heater was moved from the downstairs hallway to the upstairs landing at about 20:00. The doors to the bedrooms in use would be opened to allow the heat to circulate. The spare room was like an icebox!

Quickbeam 13:19 24 Dec 2010

And I can still smell the Esso Blue in my mind...

spuds 13:24 24 Dec 2010

Lets not forget the little sump type paraffin heater, lanterns or candles in the outside loo ;o)

namtas 13:59 24 Dec 2010

Spuds
As FE has indicated a landing (or even as I have seen lounge) are not the best place to site a control thermostat. The ideal place is in the coldest insulated space, which is usually the hall, however this is not totally ideal as any opening of the outer door immediately calls for heat.
In an ideal world we should consider differential compensations stat, a separate outdoor thermostat fitted in a non sunny position monitors the outdoor temperature and interacts with the inside one to give earlier indication of temperature change. With this system on say a sunny day you wont waste money heating the interior if the outside device has sensed that temperature are already rising. With regards to moving the existing stat which does require some disturbance to existing system have you looked at the possibility of replacing with a wireless room thermostat?

Jameslayer 14:10 24 Dec 2010

I have a electric heater which sits a few feet from me. No central heating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)