Are you leaving your central heating on??

rickf 19:32 21 Dec 2010

Just wondering how many are leaving their CH on 24/7 at the moment. I tend to turn it off for about 5/6hrs in the night when in bed. Cost is going to be very high for the next bill. Mine's on almost all day as I am working fromhome.

morddwyd 19:44 21 Dec 2010

Mine has not been off since it was put back when we last came back from holiday in 2007.

We have this little doodad called a thermostat, which switches it on when it's required, and off when it's not.

wee eddie 19:49 21 Dec 2010

that should keep the house comfortable without using excessive quantities of fuel.

Allowing the House's overall temperature to drop below Zero is asking for trouble ~ Frozen and then burst pipes, but you don't need 22' or anything like that.

muddypaws 19:55 21 Dec 2010

Mine is on all the time, but controlled by the room thermostat on the stairs.
I always turn it down to about 17 degs when we go to bed in this weather and leave it there till, about 11 am the next morning. At present it is on 24 degs.
The heating kicks in slightly during the night and maintains the latent room/furniture heat. ( That's my reasoning.!)

spuds 20:55 21 Dec 2010

Similar to what others have stated. On all the time, and reliant on thermostats.

Tried experimenting with switching off and on, especially through the night, but found this was not practical due to heat loss throughout the house (dogs roaming), and boiler having to compensate for the first hour or so. Now it switches on and off for a few minutes per hour.

I suppose the next bill, due in about two months time will tell, if this was a wise move. At least I have the government Winter Fuel payment as a bonus!.

carver 23:50 21 Dec 2010

My neighbour has just found out the hard way what can happen when you allow the temperature to drop overnight.

She has been trying to save money by only having certain rooms heated for a few hours a day, two bedrooms and one downstairs room have had no heat for the past 3 weeks the others have only been heated in the daytime, result a burst pipe in the loft space from a header tank.

The house is in a right mess, ceilings damaged, plaster on walls wet through, wallpaper hanging off.

The plumber who came was telling me he has been called out 2-3 times nearly every day to repair burst pipes since this cold weather started.

spuds 00:02 22 Dec 2010

I don't know how it affects your neighbour, but some insurance companies are not paying out for claims of this type.

We had a water tank in the loft burst a few year ago. The insurance company would only cover the partial cost of drying carpets, ceiling and part decorating. The plumbing side was left for us to resolve.

Another point to consider, is if water is pouring out of the eaves of the house, and the fire service is contacted, they will perhaps no longer attend or gain entry to a property. In which case damage could be rather extensive, before the occupier is present.

Forum Editor 00:07 22 Dec 2010

There's quite enough residual heat in the system to keep the house above freezing all night, and modern boilers have an inbuilt frost-stat that will fire the boiler when the temperature falls to near freezing, regardless of whether the system is on or off.

Combi boilers obviously don't need a header tank or cold water supply tank in the loft, so there's no danger of burst pipes from that source.

Forum Editor 00:16 22 Dec 2010

That happens when the temperature is so low that a plug of ice forms in the pipe. The ice expands, and tries to compress the water on either side, but that can't happen, so it expands in the other direction, causing a split to appear in copper pipe. There's no flood because the ice plugs the split.

When the temperature rises the ice melts, and out comes the water. Plumbers get more call-outs when the thaw starts, not so many when the big freeze is on.

BT 08:35 22 Dec 2010

My heating comes on at 6.30am till 10.30pm at night. The engineer set it to do 3 on/off cycles when he fitted the new controller a couple of years ago but when you are at home all day I don't think its worthwhile. I have Diabetes and feel the cold and my wife has poor circulation due to a heart problem, and found the 'off' times too chilly. I put the override setting on, i.e. on at the first time, off at end of the last. I find that not having to reheat the entire system and house 3 times a day doesn't cost any more, and its far more comfortable.
The temperature in the lounge only drops to around 60F overnight even in this cold weather (good insulation) and I like the cooler bedroom anyway.

carver 09:49 22 Dec 2010

Totally agree with you and in a "normal" winter that is what happens, but this year temperatures are so low that pipes which in the past have gone unfrozen all winter are now freezing overnight.

The plumber who came to my neighbours explained that to save on heating people are only having their heating on in the day, at night it goes off and when temperatures drop as they have to -10c to-14c these pipes freeze solid in just a few hours.

Then when the heating comes on it's like a mini thaw, that is why his call outs are all after about 2PM in the afternoon.

We have live in this house for 14 years and our heating is on 24 hours a day yet we are still having ice on the inside of a single glazed bay window nearly every morning, I have had to bring the pop for the kids inside the house from the garage to stop it from freezing, it isn't your "normal" winter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

The true inspiration behind Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu - and why it's so hard to keep Pokémon…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)