Are you happy with your life?

Forum Editor 07:19 12 Dec 2016
Answered

According to a comprehensive study undertaken by the London School of Economics, we are more likely to be happy if we have good mental health and a partner, than if our income was doubled.

morddwyd 07:57 12 Dec 2016

Very happy, even though I've no longer got a partner.

My biggest problems are detailed in these pages, and there are many who would wish their own problems were just as minor.

I have no hesitation in saying life is good.

Forum Editor 08:37 12 Dec 2016

Increasingly, scientists are discovering something that some people might say is self-evident - that domestic and wider social interactions are crucial to a happy life. Other studies have shown that young children are far more likely to do well at school, and become well-balanced, happy adults if they spend just half an hour a day being read to and/or played with by their mothers.

We are a gregarious species, and throughout our lives we need the company of others in order to be happy. The LSE study appears to confirm that these social interactions, coupled with good mental health are more important to us than money.

oresome 08:53 12 Dec 2016

I've not read the report, but question the "income doubled" statement.

From what to what? I live the life I want to lead well within my means; adding more money would add very little to my happiness.

If life was a constant struggle trying to make ends meet, extra cash would add enormously to the quality of my life.

Good health and a loving relationship goes without saying of course.

Quickbeam 08:53 12 Dec 2016

Can't complain... but a shed load more of money would be welcomed!

Money isn't everything, but it remains a lot of it, but despite that I'm still intending to retire as an active 60 year old with less disposable income than work for many more years with money to waste until I run out of active years and wish I hadn't.

morddwyd 08:53 12 Dec 2016

As ever I am the exception that tests the rule!

I am perfectly happy with my own company, and have no problems if I don't see anybody for a week.

Takes all sorts!

Forum Editor 10:24 12 Dec 2016

oresome

"I've not read the report, but question the "income doubled" statement."

To save you the trouble of reading it, the report said (amongst other things) that:-

*"On a scale of one to 10, the doubling of someone's pay saw their happiness rise by less than 0.2. The researchers said this was down to people caring more about how their incomes compared to other people's than how it affected them. However, having a partner saw happiness rise by 0.6 - losing a partner by separation or death saw the same impact downwards."*

The report is based on the responses from 200,000 people to questions about how different factors impacted their well-being. On a scale of one to 10, the doubling of someone's pay saw their happiness rise by less than 0.2, whereas losing a partner caused a much greater opposite effect on happiness - by an average of 0.6

Forum Editor 10:29 12 Dec 2016

morddwyd

I am perfectly happy with my own company, and have no problems if I don't see anybody for a week.

I think most people would be the same - I certainly would - but extend that week to three or four, and those into twenty or thirty and it might be a very different story. It is widely acknowledged that loneliness can have a major impact on a person's mental and physical health.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 12 Dec 2016

Wonder what age group they surveyed? Probably get different answers between youngsters wanting status symbols to pay for and oldsters you may be more content with their lives.

Govan1x 17:54 12 Dec 2016

I dont mind a bit of peace and quiet either but when it gets into weeks and months it does get depressing.

The kids have grown up and the grandkids and they have flown the nest. It goes from being a happy life into being a quiet life with very little activity.

I suppose the poor weather does not help at this time of year so you seldom go out.

Think I am beginning to sound a bit like Victor.

Brumas 18:01 12 Dec 2016

Happy yes, and content. we are more likely to be happy if we have good mental health - so very true! I won't bore you all by rambling on about having had a stressful job, losing 5 family members in a short period of time and a particularly nasty incident whilst at work and the subsequent nervous breakdown.

At the time we were living on a main road in a busy town in Lincolnshire, no peace especially when the pubs chucked out so we moved to a quiet, friendly little village here in North Northumberland and I haven't looked back.

My wife is my rock and I couldn't have survived if it hadn't been for Fran - I shudder to think of single people in the same situation.I am strong physically and Fran mentally, yin and yang. Yes, we could do with a bit more brass but we cut our coat according to our cloth and we manage and we like our pleasant lifestyle.

Our children keep asking us to move to Preston, we visit 5 or 6 times a year and that is enough of big cities thank you very much!!

When I pop me clogs Fran, who is disabled, will go and live with our daughter but should she 'go' first I will remain here in the peace and quiet!

Sorry if I have rambled on Folks....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?