Are You Getting Hot Under The Collar?

oresome 16:24 10 Nov 2015

It could be that the air-con has been turned off in your office.

National Grid are paying some customers to turn off their air-con as a measure of last resort when demand exceeds the ability to supply electricity.

This isn't some theoretical measure. It was actually deployed last week because of a breakdown at a power station and the extremely tight capacity margins we have at present.

Forum Editor 18:08 10 Nov 2015

"....the extremely tight capacity margins we have at present."

And that's in the warmest beginning to November on record. God help us when temperatures plunge.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 10 Nov 2015

Its November why is the air con still on? :0)

tullie 18:21 10 Nov 2015

Air Conditioning can heat or cool.

Forum Editor 18:31 10 Nov 2015

One way to conserve a bit of power would be to put a benchmark on when people can cover their entire house with seasonal lights.

Driving back home from a meeting just now I passed a house that was entirely swamped with flashing, coloured lights, and it's only the 10th of November!

There's a house not far from where I live that is usually so brightly lit in this way each year I would think it can be seen from space. My wife makes me drive slowly past it, so she can have a good look.

csqwared 19:44 10 Nov 2015

Oh! Good effort FE. All those references to seasonal, flashing coloured lights without mentioning the 'C' word once!! ;-))

Forum Editor 19:51 10 Nov 2015

csqwared

Thank you. It wasn't easy, as you can see.

Aitchbee 19:55 10 Nov 2015

God help us when temperatures plunge.

That's exactly what my indoor tropical plants say!

oresome 20:20 10 Nov 2015

NG did say that at the time they took the load shedding action, wind turbines were generating just 1% of demand.

It seems they don't work when we need them and at other times we pay to have them turned off because they generate electricity we can't use!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)