Are yoiu looking forward to this?

Cymro. 11:52 01 Feb 2018

BBC link

Personally I doubt if I have a use for Ultra Fast Broadband and I certainly don't want to pay more than I am already paying. Mind you eventually I dare say there will be only the Ultra Fast available and then like all of us I will just have to pay up.
So enlighten me then what exactly will I want to do with this Ultra Fast thing then? Note I say want to do not able to do as I have a good idea of it's uses.

Forum Editor 12:02 01 Feb 2018

"So enlighten me then what exactly will I want to do with this Ultra Fast thing then? Note I say want to do not able to do as I have a good idea of it's uses."

How would any of us know what you would want to do?

wee eddie 13:17 01 Feb 2018

I can say, with hand on heart, that I expect in time, many Websites to be so heavy on Advertising Content that UFB will be necessary to view the content that you actually want!

Pine Man 13:33 01 Feb 2018

100mbps broadband is already available from Virgin Media and with the advent of non satellite TV from Sky, when all their broadcasts will be via Broadband, their will be even more pressure for higher speeds.

john bunyan 13:40 01 Feb 2018

Cymro.

I agree with your general sentiment. I only get about 8mbps on my copper wires - no fibre in my road yet except Virgin. I do not like long term contracts and am awaiting fibre to the cabinet as an interim measure. My speed I enough for watching TV catch up, and for my normal surfing etc. I do not need gaming nor films, and there are rarely visiting grandchildren who may be heavier users. Therefore I am equally puzzled where the demand for speeds of 100mbps or more comes from. I suppose one day, TV may only come via broadband? I hope not. There should be a tariff so only those who want it pay the extra for it.

bumpkin 15:33 01 Feb 2018

If you have fibre to the home or business, do you still keep the copper phone line also.

mole44 15:54 01 Feb 2018

On Virgin i get 112Mbps and at the moment it's fast enough for me,my son is on 200Mbps and as he is married with two children he probably need it.

Old Deuteronomy 19:56 01 Feb 2018

Living as I do, in a small village several miles from the nearest town, there is no point in looking forward to ultra fast broadband.

HondaMan 21:10 01 Feb 2018

Like others, I am perfectly happy with my 74Mbps and will probably not bother with it.

[DELETED] 08:49 02 Feb 2018

At last Openreach have realised pushing high speed internet down 50 year old, or more, copper cables doesn't really work, it's what I called flawed technology.

It's always breaking down in our area, my neighbour is always cussing about his speeds, when it rains the connections on the poles get soaking wet and the top download band throws a wobbly and everyone in the area is back to ADSL2+ speeds, that's why I've kept on ADSL, it's more reliable because it isn't using such a wide bandwidth.

Do you know we are not even in the top ten countries for speed, we are behind places like Romania and Israel, very poor do.

Forum Editor 10:32 02 Feb 2018

"...we are behind places like Romania and Israel, very poor do."

We are paying the price for being one of the first countries in the world to have a landline telephone network - old copper wires are everywhere, and the investment needed to roll out a 21st century upgrade is huge.

Back in the day, BT approached Margaret Thatcher's government with an offer to lay in a high-speed internet network connection to every home in Britain, provided the company could have the exclusive right to the connection for a specified number of years. It made perfect sense to me, but Margaret Thatcher was being courted by Cable and Wireless, and the opportunity was lost.

A superfast broadband network is all about money, lots of it, and of course successive governments have wanted private investment to fund it. Now that Openreach is trading separately from BT it can start pumping more money into a fibre network. We'll see what happens.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)