Are We Now A Society Of Bystanders?

Menzie 18:59 22 Oct 2018

I've been reading up on the Ryan Air incident recently with the passenger saying unkind things to the another passenger.

Also looking back at an incident where a toddler had somehow wandered from outside a house onto a ledge on the roof.

In both cases there were people close by, instead of doing anything to assist they started recording for social media.

In the case of the incident on board the plane it looks like British authorities may not be able to prosecute due to the location it happened in and the location of the registration of the aircraft.

In the case of the toddler a passer by with his father in a motor vehicle urged his father to stop, and jumped into action to try and rescue the child (he did).

How comes these days everyone seems to ignore incidents happening around them?

bumpkin 19:56 22 Oct 2018

How comes these days everyone seems to ignore incidents happening around them?

Because they will be stabbed or have acid throwh in their face or be sued.

Menzie 20:41 22 Oct 2018

Disturbingly that is true, I remember a few years back in the UK a man running away from a supermarket. There was a staff member yelling out "stop thief;" this big burly man who the alleged was running past tackled him. When the police arrived they scolded the person who tackled the criminal and told him that he should leave such matters to the police.

Aitchbee 22:04 22 Oct 2018

When the police arrived they scolded the person who tackled the criminal and told him that he should leave such matters to the police.

click here

Quickbeam 06:25 23 Oct 2018

No more so than ever before social media came along to emphasise such events.

More worrying I think is that we (collectively) are much more likely to get our phones out to make a video for posting up!

Quickbeam 16:47 23 Oct 2018

Apparently the man has just been identified... I would have thought that that could have been done in seconds...

MJS WARLORD 17:09 23 Oct 2018

hi menzie I agree with you yet again !

I got a bollocking in a shopping centre car park from 2 under cover security men. I did NOT help them chase a run away thief , I just said I don't have a stab vest did they have a knife ?

oresome 17:30 23 Oct 2018

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke. …

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL