Are our police becoming more 'Americanised'

spuds 10:02 08 Oct 2015
Answered

Not sure what anyone else thinks latest police shooting, but surely there must be ways different to this. click here

tullie 10:14 08 Oct 2015

What would you expect them to do?

spuds 10:23 08 Oct 2015

tullie

I am sure if you was at the end of a police bullet, you would be suggesting something very different.

In the days before tasers and police trained and carrying firearms, it may well have ended with shields, truncheon and a charge, with the eventual aim of controlling a person.

Methods have changed quite a lot from the old days, and lets say, not always for the best.

kad292 11:06 08 Oct 2015

Maybe the two police women murdered by Dale Cregan would applaud this police action,if they had been armed officers the outcome would have been different.

spuds 11:39 08 Oct 2015

"if they had been armed officers the outcome would have been different."

Possibly true, but the element of surprise is a very big barrier to pass. But after reading this, I might perhaps change my mind very slightly click here

Ungus 13:14 08 Oct 2015

Its difficult to say as none of know the real circumstances of the incident. Up here in Scotland there was a big outcry as some were concerened that armed police where seen in what you could call normal policing operations. From my point of view I am not to concerned if there are more fire arms ifficers in the community. However many of us normal stiffs don't like it. But the cops are in a difficult position on this one so I guess we have to trust their proficiency.

Forum Editor 16:15 08 Oct 2015

I share the concern of the others who have said that we have virtually no information on which to base a judgement.

The first thing to remember when talking of the 'Americanisation' of British policing is that Police officers in London were routinely armed as long ago as 1894 - a measure that was introduced after the murder of two police officers.

Firearms were routinely carried until 1936, when the practice was discontinued until 1952, when guns were again issued to around 17% of Police officers. This also followed the killing of an officer and the wounding of another.

Nowadays most police forces have patrolling Armed Response Vehicles, so police can respond rapidly to an incident where armed officers may be needed. Police Federation surveys of serving officers have continually shown overwhelming resistance to routine arming with firearms. The Federation is calling for all officers to be armed with Tasers however.

On average, UK Police use Tasers about 30 times a day.

sunnystaines 17:11 08 Oct 2015

if he was armed with a knife he should expect to be shot if he refuses to lay it down.

x123 18:25 08 Oct 2015

The report says

" who they thought was carrying a knife "

So they can shoot anyone who they think might be carrying a knife?

spuds 18:56 08 Oct 2015

"if he was armed with a knife he should expect to be shot if he refuses to lay it down."

You try telling that to a person with a mental illness, or high on something. Its not as simple as some people might think. In this particular incident, it would appear that the person was shot twice by a laser or lasers.

"So they can shoot anyone who they think might be carrying a knife?"

" who they thought was carrying a knife "

I seem to recall that a person was shot, for carrying a table or chair leg in a bin liner bag. Also a young male who was killed trying to catch a train, and was apparently running from armed officer's.

Like what as already been mentioned, the full facts have not been aired yet, but I suspect it will be interesting, when and if they are.

morddwyd 19:38 08 Oct 2015

Too Americanised?

Certainly not.

In the main American police respond in force, within minutes, to reports of a burglary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)