Are microsoft getting too big for their boots

MJS WARLORD 19:47 24 May 2018

I have been a pc geek since 1982 so I have used many of their operating systems. 2 years ago I got a custom built pc and thought wow I got a new windows 10 pc with no trial or bloat ware , all I got was the op system , little did I know that was about to change.

Microsoft have changed how you download updates , you no longer have the option to hide updates you know will either cause you a problem or reject things you don't want. It is possible to get 3rd party software to "hide" items you don't want to install but Microsoft don't know their hidden so just try to give them to you again.

I have just looked in my add/remove and thanks to Microsoft , over a period of time they have dumped 23 programs on me that I don't want or use , the trouble is the word uninstall is greyed out. It is possible but difficult to delete these but guess what Microsoft will give them back to you.

OK so what's the point of my rant well that's an easy one to answer , I , not Microsoft , paid for my pc so what right do they have to decide what gets put on it.

lotvic 20:43 24 May 2018

Did you read the EULA?

The software is licenced not sold.

wee eddie 20:54 24 May 2018

The choice is yours. Use Linux, it's a no-brainer

Forum Editor 14:04 26 May 2018

"I , not Microsoft , paid for my pc so what right do they have to decide what gets put on it."

Microsoft owns the operating system software, not you. It's all explained in the End User Licence Agreement, as lotvic has pointed out. You can prevent Windows 10 updates from installing automatically, but then you may miss important patches and fixes.

Nobody forces you to use Windows 10 - there are alternatives.

Pine Man 15:47 26 May 2018

I seem to recollect that going back as far as Windows 3.11, which needed DOS 6.22 to load it, EULA's applied. Though I suppose as many people read it then as do today!

bumpkin 21:19 26 May 2018

*I , not Microsoft , paid for my pc *

In which case you can do as you like with it but if you wish to use an operating system then you need to agree to the terms of the licence whichever one you chose.

Quickbeam 07:50 27 May 2018

"Though I suppose as many people read it then as do today!"

People actually read them...? It's annoying enough when some software requires you to scroll to the bottom in a vague pretence of having read them!

MJS WARLORD 09:28 27 May 2018

With regards to reading EULA , you buy the product and even if you dont read the conditions , install is greyed out unless you tick to agree. MY origional point was not about EULA , my point was microsoft should ask me if i want some of their software instead of just dumping it on me and greying out uninstall.

MJS WARLORD 09:30 27 May 2018

I dont have a problem with 10 its brill i object to other stuff getting dumped on me

MJS WARLORD 12:02 27 May 2018

2 examples don't want or use groove music or the xbox program but stuck with them cos uninstall greyed out.

this may be a dumb question but why are their 3 xbox releted items in my add/remove.

Govan1x 09:09 28 May 2018

Have to agree with MJS WARLORD Microsoft do seem to be acting like Big Brother. A case of do what we want or move.

Now all we need is somewhere decent to move to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Samsung Galaxy S10 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs