Are Lidl losing the plot?

oresome 11:39 12 Nov 2015

Lidl are going upmarket with new stores offering customer toilets, baby changing facilities, room to pack your bags at the checkout and self-serve checkouts.

Coupled with in-store bakeries and an improved wine and food range they are getting to look more like the traditional major supermarkets.

Change the simple business model though and operating costs increase. The main attraction for the Lidl customer is surely price and if this suffers as a result of the improvements the strategy could backfire.

spuds 12:31 12 Nov 2015

Between Lidl and Aldi, I prefer Aldi first and foremost, but having said that, there was a television investigation programme on Channel 4 last Monday "Dispatches - Aldi Supermarket Secrets", which gave some very alarming events about how stores are run, food products and staff labour relations.

Lidl have opened a more local store, in my area recently (Aldi already have 5) , and are due to open another new store tomorrow, a few miles further on.So it truly looks like competition is in the air. Especially and more so, when all the other major supermarkets are well represented in the area, with their 'super' or 'convenience' stores.

The big names like Tesco are now finding some resistance to their activities, and this was proven recently,in my area, when two new applications for further 'convenience' stores, met with public protests, and the stores involved have eventually backed-down on their proposals.

Forum Editor 18:03 12 Nov 2015

Lidl's annual turnover exceeds 60 billion Euros.

Aldi turns over around fifty billion Euros. It is one of the world's largest privately owned companies.

The two businesses are fiercely competitive.

Both companies have come in for criticism about their attitudes to their staff.

canarieslover 18:54 12 Nov 2015

I have practically given up using my local Lidl after using them almost daily since they opened about six years ago. I now find that their prices aren't really that competitive, except for the unknown brands, and their continuity of supply is not very good either. That's understandable on their special offers but not on their normal ranges. Often I was finding that prices on the shelf were not matching prices at the till, too little staff to update everything? Queuing at the tills made it no longer worth the effort of going and staff turnover has been at a level that indicates no job satisfaction whatsoever.

oresome 19:50 12 Nov 2015

canarieslover,

I share some of your experiences. The local store often reminds me of Netto just before they closed.

The local Aldi seems to be a better run store but the lack of a easily decipherable 'use by date' as highlighted by the Despatches TV programme the other night is an issue we find annoying as some vegetables seem to have a short life once home.

Forum Editor 22:49 12 Nov 2015

oresome

"the lack of a easily decipherable 'use by date' as highlighted by the Despatches TV programme the other night is an issue we find annoying as some vegetables seem to have a short life once home".

As far as I'm aware, no supermarkets have 'use by' dates for vegetables, do they?

lotvic 23:15 12 Nov 2015

My packet of salad baby leaves has a 'Use By' date on it. I think it's only the loose fruit and veg that don't have dates on.

wee eddie 00:03 13 Nov 2015

Lotvic: That's because Salad Leaves are a processed food. Washed in chlorinated water and packed in 'gas flushed' bags. CO2 I believe

spuds 11:07 13 Nov 2015

In possible reply to the dated product query, the programme mentioned, did show examples from other major stores, and some of their packaged products were 'best by' dated.

With Aldi, it would seem as though there is a coding system, that the store staff may understand, but would have been difficult for the public to understand!.

But when you pick up a cucumber that is very limp and soggy looking, then you surely know it not likely to be fresh, as was another example shown on the programme.

oresome 11:24 13 Nov 2015

Regarding use by dates, I'll have to consult a higher authority who is out at the moment, but a lot of vegetables purchased like broccoli, peppers and potatoes are pre-packed.

Forum Editor 12:29 13 Nov 2015

oresome

I'm not a higher authority, but my son is- he's a food microbiologist. He says that in general fruit and vegetables which are prepacked for retail sale must have the following information on the label:-

Quality class/Country of origin/Colour of flesh (where it applies)/Size/Weight or Number of items unless items are clearly visible/Code indicating the packer or the name and address of the packer or distributor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)