Hot Topics

Are Internet Radio Portals Down?

morddwyd 12:31 08 May 2019
Answered

Having a lot of trouble getting, and holding, my favourite stations this morning.

Are any of the major portals or providers down.

morddwyd 09:54 14 May 2019

Interesting today that when I asked for the news (BBC) on my smart speaker I was asked to link to my BBC account, and that the appropriate link has been sent o my Android device.

I do not have, nor have I ever had, a BBC account, and if I have to get one in order to listen we will part company.

Luckily I have Sky available which so far is behaving itself.

Annoying to have to turn the relatively power hungry TV on just to get the news headlines though.

polymath 12:01 14 May 2019

I haven't had any messages so far about a BBC account. I do have one, but maybe not the kind your messages are about. Mine's just a free registration at the BBC website; I only did it in order to access the h2g2 forums (when internet access become possible for me in 2001!).

Forum Editor 14:47 14 May 2019

"I do not have, nor have I ever had, a BBC account, and if I have to get one in order to listen we will part company."

You shouldn't need one to listen to programmes as they go to air, but if you use the BBC iPlayer service you'll certainly have to register - that has been the case for some time. It enables the BBC to offer enhancements, such as the 'resume' facility which enables you to start watching a programme and pick up at the same place you leave it, days later.

Quickbeam 17:43 14 May 2019

"It enables the BBC to offer enhancements, such as the 'resume' facility which enables you to start watching a programme and pick up at the same place you leave it, days later."

That is well worth registering for. I watch most of my TV on catchup. I can go from kitchen to living room to bedroom and it goes straight to where I switched the previous TV off!

morddwyd 19:33 14 May 2019

FE

I was aware of that, of course, and it's not an unreasonable condition, but the only time I use iPlayer is by the aforementioned Sky, where I assume my Sky account is a registration.

I am talking about live internet radio, mainly Radio 4, through an internet radio and, now, via a smart speaker.

No problem with AM (remember that?), FM or DAB.

wee eddie 20:24 14 May 2019

MDD: The Darvel mast was down today. That's the one south of Glasgow. However it was up again in about 3 hours

Quickbeam 20:28 14 May 2019

AM, FM &DAB are still alive and strong.

AM & FM is what millions still have on house & car radios. AM is stoneage with all the crackles and added bridge fade in a car. I have DAB in my car, yes I know technically FM is better reception, but if the stations that I listen to aren't on FM, that's an irrelevance. Internet radio in a car requires a live data stream and is still plagued by reception blackspots.

No radio is yet available to match FM coverage and quality. My biggest annoyance is that they still transmit Radio 3 on FM for about 100k listeners, but should give that airwave to Radio 5Live that has millions of listeners.

But the BBC is very stuck in it's ways, so I won't bother mentioning longwave that has to switch away from the ball by ball test match coverage to transmit the shipping forecast... ooops... I just did...

But the 15 longwave listeners in Finland, the 137 in the Shetlands and the listener in the Faroe Islands are all apparently still happy with the longwave reception on their cats whisker sets!

Quickbeam 20:31 14 May 2019

I most likely posted a very similar post to that about BBC radio a decade ago, the fact that it's still annoying me is testament to the degree of being set in it's ways that the BBC is!

polymath 21:52 14 May 2019

Perhaps the stuck-in-the mud image is a convenient cover for sneaking in changes unnoticed.

I found this article when trying to find out why I couldn't get my favourite BBC podcasts on my new radio (though I could on a computer). click here

Forum Editor 22:55 14 May 2019

"...the only time I use iPlayer is by the aforementioned Sky, where I assume my Sky account is a registration."

That's correct - your iPlayer use is recorded via your SKY subscription's on demand facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

Adobe CC buying guide: January deals, pricing, new features & free trials

Best SSD for Mac 2020

Huawei P40 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs